Hello All, New diver here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trur1

New
Reaction score
Hey guys.. after a long time of saying "im going to" i finally did and now completing my courses that are necessary, SSI with OW and then to advanced OW and so on... in about 8 months i move for school to DC area. Right now im interested in gear and was hoping you guys could shed some light on the subject.

I have been a motorcyclist for over 5 years, i dont believe in buying crappy gear, since it protects your life. I feel that the same would apply to scuba diving. Now scuba gear can be out of many peoples leagues in income. I also realize that some parts may play more of a "key" role in breathing.

What do you suggest?
What good sites to order from?

Any information at all would be very useful... in all my days of activities, forums are often the best source for accurate information.

And if everyone seems nice here i hope to make many more appearances..

Thanks ahead of time

welcome to waterworld. Just don't buy cheap!!! Like you said, your life depends on the purchases you are about to make.

Again, welcome! It has been stated on many threads that as a new diver you should buy mask, snorkel, fins, booties - wait on the rest of the "stuff". Try some rental items from different places, different shops carry different brands. See if you like diving before spending the big $$. See which way you want to go with diving warm water once a year, cold water wreck diving, cave. This will dictate the type of equipment you'll want to get. With that being said ditto the above replies.

Hmm.. lets see if i can give some insight, that may help you guys answer my questions...

Where im at now, its going to be cold water, im looking at 6-7mm WS's. as far as i know, unless i get better offers my future diving will be maryland/delaware (which im sure is cold as well, i have no desire to cave dive, i think that would freak me out, lol.. shark diving, corals.. whatever else ill try, even travel perhaps... and i have no doubts about enjoying it.. i mean, breathign underwater.. whats not to like?

You are correct. Good gear is the best choice. If you settle on used gear then talk to someone who knows aboout the gear before you buy it, such as you would find at an LDS. I would prefer new gear. I would still talk to someone who knows about the gear you are interested in before you buy it...especially if you buy it online. You do not have to spend an arm and a leg to get good gear. I would say in the range of $800.00...Maybe even less. But make sure you enjoy diving before you spend alot of money on gear, aside from mask, snorkel and fins.

Hello and welcome to SB trur1!

Lots to keep in mind when buying gear.....

Fit and comfort are very important!!! Take your time, shop around, try on different brands. Check out other divers' stuff and ask them questions. Renting gear is also an option. It gives you the opportunity to actually dive with the stuff...... but can be expensive.

IMO shopping on-line is OK for gadgets, etc. Exposure suits, BC, mask n fins and the items that should fit comfortably........ your LDS or dive gear warehouse (like Diver Direct) might be better. For example, a size 8, O'Neill full 3mm fits differently than my size 8, ScubaMax shorty. I don't mean in the arm/leg area either. LOL! My full suit is comfy, my shorty is a bit tighter. Kinda like buying clothes, it depends on who manufactured it. I just think it's easier (and better) to make the choices in person. Once you are more experienced, buying on-line gets easier too. As long as you're not like me..................I want one of everything! :D

Getting quality gear doesn't mean you have to buy top-of-the-line. Mid-range has worked well for me. Take proper care of your gear and it will last you a very long time.

Another thing to keep in mind-
Some of your gear will need to be serviced. Hopefully, you have a shop nearby that you can drop it off/ pick it up. I never liked shipping things off in the mail for service. For items with a warranty, the repairs need to be done by qualified/approved shop.

There's a gazillion choices out there. It all relates to the type of diving you'll be doing. I'm a warm water wuss.... I don't know how you people dive the colder waters in a wetsuit......BRRRR! I'd have to go with a drysuit but that's a whole new ball-of-wax...........

Happy shopping and welcome aboard!

Back
Top Bottom