Hello all

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

supernix

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I just wanted to drop a line and say hello.
I am not a SCUBA diver yet. But when I was much younger
I had a tendency to go snorkeling. But never had anyone to go with so I put that aside.
Now I am getting ready to visit Myrtle Beach. And I figured I just can't go to the beach
and not get some snorkeling time in. I am a little apprehensive about it though.
Snorkeling in a lake is one things. But I am sure with waves and such this will be much more
troublesome not to mention the salt water factor. I never went to the beach much.
Never really cared to after watching jaws. :D LOL I bet that has put many people off on swimming
at the ocean.
I have found everyones posts on fins and such and found them very informative and helpful.
I must say that I am blown away by all these choices. Back when I was 14 all fins as I recall were just
flat blades and some had holes in them as well ( I forget why those were there though)
Now I am seeing fins that promise even better speed and efficiency than those old designs.
I am so looking forward to getting me some split fins.
I thought about getting some US diver hydro split fins. But not sure how those would do.
I am tempted to get TUSA X-Pert Zoom Scuba Diving/Snorkeling Fins SF-8
But I dont know if that is overkill or not. I found a really great price on them at $90 so that would be saving
me tons of money on them as well.
Sad to say though I will not be able to afford them till later after the vacation is over :116:
Another sad sad things is I found out they don't make wet suites big enough to fit a whale grrrrr.
Guess I will lose weight with my planned increase of diving until winter sets in that is.

Welcome to the board!

Joe

supernix:
Hi,

I just wanted to drop a line and say hello.
I am not a SCUBA diver yet. But when I was much younger
I had a tendency to go snorkeling. But never had anyone to go with so I put that aside.
Now I am getting ready to visit Myrtle Beach. And I figured I just can't go to the beach
and not get some snorkeling time in. I am a little apprehensive about it though.
Snorkeling in a lake is one things. But I am sure with waves and such this will be much more
troublesome not to mention the salt water factor. I never went to the beach much.
Never really cared to after watching jaws. :D LOL I bet that has put many people off on swimming
at the ocean.
I have found everyones posts on fins and such and found them very informative and helpful.
I must say that I am blown away by all these choices. Back when I was 14 all fins as I recall were just
flat blades and some had holes in them as well ( I forget why those were there though)
Now I am seeing fins that promise even better speed and efficiency than those old designs.
I am so looking forward to getting me some split fins.
I thought about getting some US diver hydro split fins. But not sure how those would do.
I am tempted to get TUSA X-Pert Zoom Scuba Diving/Snorkeling Fins SF-8
But I dont know if that is overkill or not. I found a really great price on them at $90 so that would be saving
me tons of money on them as well.
Sad to say though I will not be able to afford them till later after the vacation is over :116:
Another sad sad things is I found out they don't make wet suites big enough to fit a whale grrrrr.
Guess I will lose weight with my planned increase of diving until winter sets in that is.

If you are just getting back into the sport, you really have two choices to make. Spend a lot of money or spend a modest amount of money. Fins do make a difference and if you had been diving for years with a particular style fin you would notice the difference. For now - I would suggest you purchase a mid range paddle fin and save the extra money for scuba classes.... As far as Wet Suits- I was recently offered a deal on some new 4XL suits. If you are interested, email me directly at mphill9929@aol.com.

Mark Phillips

www.thewetgazette.com
The Free Internet E-zine for Scuba Divers​

Howdy!

I'm guessing that you wrote your Intro on an email site or something to gain spell check perhaps, then copied it here? All those broken lines made me dizzy. I will do that on a regular Word Processor site, then copy.

Anyway, if $90 for a pair of fins is going to slow you down, Scuba would not be your sport. Snorkeling is fun, though. I did that vacations for years before I got enough money to do Scuba. Make sure your mask fits well, and if you have to buy one - make sure it's has a silicone skirt; plastic looks the same, but doesn't hold up. A self-draining snorkel is better than a simple tube - although I dived for eyars with a tube, and - if you're not a great swimmer, you might look at "horse collar" snorkeling vests.

don

Actually I just typed it into the box but I did use WYSIWYG to handle the input of the text.

It is not really that it is $90 but rather the fact that I already have comitted so much money already to my upcomming vacation for one thing. And I worry about buying something only to find out that it is a dud.
As I have found out by reading fins are sort of like a personal preference.
Although I have read some stats on trials of other fins I forgot the site. It was a comparison of how the split fins differ from manufacturer to manufacturer.
It was a rather nice article. But I have gleaned much more information just reading these forums.

Welcome to the ScubaBoard.... Have no clue what the WYSIWYG is, but I can tell you this much, when it comes to gear, buy it right the first time. I'd rather save for awhile and get exactly what I want, than to settle for something less.

Although some WILL disagree (split fin haters) I love mine, I use very little energy and yet glide pretty dang fast in the water.. I went with the Apollo bio-fin pro. I'm not sure if Splits are the way to go for snorkling (haven't ever really done that), but their are excellent under the water, and heck...you'd probably even be able to out swim "JAWS" with them when you decide to get off the surface.. :eyebrow:

Welcome Aboard!!!

It's addictive, but who cares?!?!?

Good friends and good info. What could be better???

P.S. - If you have not already done so, please fill out your profile.

"I am not a SCUBA diver yet".

Why Not?????

Just went snorkelling yesterday first time in a long time. I must say it caused my arch to ache and my legs are definately out of shape. It was definately not like before when I was young and seemed to be able to swim all over effortlessly for hours.
It might have been just that I was swimming on the surface as it seemed like when I went under I had less troubles.

I am using a cheap pair of fins that I bought at the local sports store so that might be part of it. They are US Diver fins. Just paddle fins with jet openings in them. Now I am curious if those split fins would have done better.

I am thinking very seriously about getting certified when I am down at the beach.

Welcome to ScubaBoard!

Don't forget to fill out your profile, so that we can add context to your posts.

Christian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom