Hello are you their? I can't see you

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdexcalibur

Reaction score
OK most days vis. is at best about ten feet . Last dive seems like I spent more time on lost buddy skills then on the dive.
Question would a yoke light or a flashing light benifit us in the day time and is it practical.What about the tank bangers.

Due to the reflection off the particals in the water any yoke or flashing light would work not much past your visible viewing distance anyway.

With tank bangers Due to the increased speed of sound in water approx 4X faster than it is on land, it is very difficult to figure out where the sound is coming from anyway. those tank bangers are just a noisy interference to an otherwise nice dive spot.

The best option is to be aware of your buddy at all times, in low vis we take it in turns one in front and one behind, then swap on the way back.

Remember to
Plan your Dive and Dive your plan

A couple of weeks ago the vis here was down to 1m (3ft). I took my night-diving torch into the water and my buddies said it made me easier to spot. I don't think a yoke light would offer much benefit, they aren't bright enough.

You could also hold hands or use a buddy line.

Zept

... is having a cute buddy that you enjoy holding hands with. :cuddle: Even a bad dive can be fun if the company is good!

I've only been diving for about a month. I've been lucky that in most places I've have really good visibility.

There was a dive during my 1 & 2nd OW Cert dives that the visibility was down to about 10ft. My instructor had the only girl in the class (wow was she hot) hold on to my arm, but when it came time for her to equilize and since she was afraid of the giant cat fish, she let go. When I felt her let go, I turned around and waiting for her to equilize and offered her my hand to catch back up with me (only a few feet in front of her). I was thinking that she would just follow my arm back up to the upper part of the arm, but she didn't want to let go of my arm.

I didn't have a problem then, but now the problem is, the few trips that I've gone on, I haven't seen a cute girl yet, let a lone to be a dive buddy with...

I know that has nothing to do with the original question, I just thought it was funny!

As a less personal backup plan. We have alternated hanging on to the buddie's BC or other gear in extreme low vis. One buddy leads and the other follows by hanging on in such a way that thier absence would be noted. I have read of using a line between two divers. I haven't tried it but in really low vis I would be concerned about entanglements if the line were more than a meter long. Lights seem to help a little but not enough in truly low vis to overcome the problem. To compound the problem of keeping track of your buddy, once you lose your buddy, finding him/her again short of the surface is very difficult!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom