Hello from Michigan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, I came to this forum to get some more knowledge on scuba diving. I have already taken the pool sessions and I just need to do my open water later this year when the ice melts. I am a little nervous as a lot of what I have read from instructors on here says they wont pass someone for OW unless they show they are a master at everything and an Olympic swimmer (exaggerating a little).

I want to try to learn all I can to make sure I will dive safely and not be a nuisance to anyone or anything. Also it is a little cold out.

"" I am a little nervous as a lot of what I have read from instructors on here says they wont pass someone for OW unless they show they are a master at everything and an Olympic swimmer"

Dont take this as them trying to fail you just for the sake of it, at the end of the day your personal training is primarily for your benefit.
Once you get into diving you will be able to spot a well trained diver from a poorly trained diver in a matter of seconds, it affects basic things like gear preparation and more important things like buoyancy or the ability to function properly under an emergency.

After you start diving you will understand the huge benefit of having a strict instructor and not one that just wants to sign you off to collect his fee.

I wish you luck with your OW course and welcome to the Scuba world!

Given you’re from the Great Lakes State, I have to ask - any desire to dive the awesome wrecks on the Lakes or just warm water?

One question I have is how am I supposed to get better at these skills when I only have two pool sessions and then the check out dives? It is not like I can just go out and practice since I am I not certified, but I am sure I will be ok as our class was only 4 people, including me, so the instructor didn't have to bounce around too much so I got some good one on one time.

I will most definitely be diving some wrecks if I get certified. I live only 15 minutes from lake st. clair and I live around a ton of inland lakes. Though that is another problem all together. I dont want to be looked at as a problem diver when going to these wrecks. I will be so new that I am sure other divers will be able to spot me a mile away. I guess as long as I dont cause any problems and keep to myself I will be fine.

I probably wont do any diving in salt water for a couple years as learning scuba diving has taken a large hit on my finances.

You ask if you can do more pool time. Where will your check out dives be - Gilboa?

My instructor stated it would be somewhere in Ohio. Still have some time until the weather warms up enough though. It was going to be in springmill pond but he changed it.

1. Welcome
  2. Relax, don't over think this
  3. Just breath in and out
  4. Discuss your concerns with your instructor. Get his recommendations
  5. Get as much water time before your check out dive as is convenient. Even if its not scuba diving you can swim laps, practice mask clearing etc. If you can rent gear (if you haven't bought gear yet) and have access to a pool you can practice buoyancy control, and taking gear off and putting it back on while submerged.

Welcome to ScubaBoard. A great place to be during surface intervals.

Back
Top Bottom