Hello from SF CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SapphireMind

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm a pretty novice diver - I trained in Monterrey, have also had dives in Cabo San Lucas and Hawaii. I'm working towards my advanced open water with different classes and also building up slowly my own equipment. I'm hoping to go on a dive trip sometime soon or a real diving vacation, instead of intermittent diving.

I work in medicine with infants, have been certified for just over 2 years now, and really love diving, just wish there was more time and money to do it more frequently! I would love to meet more people in my area and make real dive buddies :)

Welcome to Scubaboard!
Enjoy your journey, there’s a lot of great diving around Monterey. After that you can check out some of the Southern California dive boats. They’re a great value and lots of fun.
The important thing is to just dive as much as you can and have fun.

Hi and welcome. I'm in SF too and I'm a Divemaster down in Monterey. I'm pretty much always there so if you are down there and looking for a buddy let me know.

~Rebecca

howdy and welcome from southeast florida...good luck and enjoy the deep blue.

Hi and welcome. I'm in SF too and I'm a Divemaster down in Monterey. I'm pretty much always there so if you are down there and looking for a buddy let me know.

~Rebecca

What dive shop are you with? :) I'm going down in early December for a long weekend to complete some cert dives for specialty courses. I was going to go on a Channel Islands trip this summer, but they posted the dates incorrectly and with my work schedule/type of work, adding a day was absolutely impossible. :( I still want to try and go on one some time soon, but there seems to be no great place to find all the different groups doing trips to look for one I could tag along with.

I also have a week off mid-Jan that I was considering trying to find a liveaboard to do, but I'm definitely nervous to do it for the first time!

Welcome! Best of luck finding a buddy. There are many dive groups in the Bay Area, depending on where you live, that's how I found mine.

Grab a copy of California Diving News next time you’re in your local dive shop. They’re free and have a listing of all the dive clubs in California plus a lot of other info.
Not to sound negative in anyway, but scubaboard isn’t always the best source for diving info and finding buddies in California since it seems to be more east coast, midwest, and southern states oriented. California has a hell of a lot of divers but I found that perportionately very few participate here on SB. Trips and buddy finding through your dive shop or local dive clubs seem to be the way to go. I’m up in Santa Rosa and dive the Sonoma and Mendocino county coasts. It’s pretty remote up this way. If you want, look up Seal’s Water Sports in Santa Rosa (my local LDS) and look at their dive trip schedule. We do fun dives once a month somewhere in our area. Might be worth checking out.

I was going to go on a Channel Islands trip this summer, but they posted the dates incorrectly and with my work schedule/type of work, adding a day was absolutely impossible. :( I still want to try and go on one some time soon, but there seems to be no great place to find all the different groups doing trips to look for one I could tag along with.

If you look on the dive boats schedule, they usually have the name and number of the group / groups chartering them. I've just called and booked with the charter shop or club if they have an open spot or two, depending if I'm solo. I second Eric to call Seals, I went on a couple of trips with them before they were Seals, and the best people are still there.

Bob

Thanks for the tip about diving news. I'm in the city, and haven't found a group, but granted I've not been looking terribly hard.

It's just a little daunting to try and figure out the different boats and look individually. That's what I've tried to do, but it's not easily done.

Welcome to ScubaBoard SapphireMind. A great place to be during surface intervals.
BTW: Love that name.

Back
Top Bottom