Hello from South Dakota!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Madeira. I've been there. Be careful, can be an unforgiving dive if you don't know what you're doing. There was a fatality there last year.

I hadn't heard that. Have you ever dove the Madeira? If I remember correctly, it is in a few pieces, part in shallower water, part at ~100 ft, is that right? I'm sure the water in Superior would require a drysuit.

I've been on it twice. I dive it from shore in a two-piece 7mm freediving suit. Water temperature is usually in the 40s.

I've been on it twice. I dive it from shore in a two-piece 7mm freediving suit. Water temperature is usually in the 40s.

The two piece 7mm is what we use around here as well. Probably not as necessary at a shallow dive, but once you hit the 30 ft mark, you're glad you have it. Is it worth diving the Madeira? Or are there better wrecks in Superior for divers like us with not a lot of experience? And what caused the fatality at the Madeira?

Is it worth diving the Madeira? Or are there better wrecks in Superior for divers like us with not a lot of experience?

The Madeira is one of the few wrecks anywhere that is readily accessible from shore; the Hesper, just up the road a piece in Silver Bay, is another. I think they are fun dives -- the water is clear and cold, and the wrecks are well preserved for their age. There is little if any aquatic life, so the attraction is the wrecks themselves.

While it is possible to visit both these and the many other shipwrecks in Lake Superior via boat, it is difficult to arrange. There are no established dive boats that serve this area on a scheduled basis as there are in typical tropical destinations. There are liveaboards that visit Isle Royal, and it is possible to schedule charters in advance if you are willing to organize something with your friends and pay to charter the entire boat for a day. Either of these are costly alternatives and require you to have a sizeable group of diving friends with compatible interests and skills. It is also possible to use your own boat (a step I am now taking) but Lake Superior places considerable demands on the skipper and vessel; there's a reason there are hundreds of wrecks to see.

Therefore, the attraction of these dives is that they are a unique opportunity for a local wreck dive from shore.

And what caused the fatality at the Madeira?

There is a thread in A&I that includes an eyewitness narrative.

The decedent was an inexperienced, young diver who was there as part of a group. He was new to drysuit diving and was taking the dive as part of his drysuit speciality class. There were so many things that went wrong that it is difficult to identify a primary cause. The main lesson that I would take away from it is that he was not comfortable enough with diving in general and his drysuit in particular to deal with the considerable demands of the site.

People dive the site in different ways. My approach is to dive it with a twinset, from shore, and swim out to the wreck underwater. Other people swim out on the surface and make a relatively short dive with just an AL80. Others use a boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom