Hello from Yemen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KickDrumX2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello Everyone,

I am new to diving. Just got certified earlier this year in beautiful Phuket, Thailand. Currently stationed in Sana'a, Yemen.

I am Looking to dive the Red Sea out of Egypt in early October. Any suggestions on locations?

Welcome to Scubaboard and congratulations on your certification.

There is a Red Sea Forum on SB and I'm sure you'll get more Red Sea info from posters in that forum than in this Intro and Greetings Forum.

Red Sea - ScubaBoard

Good luck and safe dives!

Hey, congrats on getting your cert. I lived in Oman for 2 years awhile ago and did a lot of diving there. In the south there is diving around the Salalah/Mirbat coast and in the north around Muscat. I highly recommend trying to dive Oman! As for the Red Sea I have dove out of Hurghada and it was pretty descent. If you're looking for a land based trip I would suggest Sharm el Sheik or Dahab in the north or Marsa Alam down south. Other than that I hear the liveaboards are great. Good Luck!

Thanks for all the advice, I will definitely have to see if I can squeeze in a quick trip to Oman. I hadn't even considered it an option.

Check this link out: Extra Divers Worldwide
All my diving out in Oman was done with one of the Extra Divers shops... mostly the Salalah shop and Oman Dive Center in Muscat. I dove with the Salalah shop pretty much every weekend for 2 years except during the Khareef season. I actually did all my courses up through DM with them too.

Thanks again for the help. I checked out the Oman Dive Center's website. Its looks good to go. I'll have to see if I can squeeze a couple days in this November.

Hi J easy.
I dived Oman last year too (November 2010): Around Muscat and around Salalah. My question is: When diving in salalah, did you dive always from the shore ? ALways around Mirbat ?
or is there any diving center having a boat to go diving in the big blue ?
Thanks.

I have to say that it was quite pleasant and interesting to dive around Muscat. Especially, around Fahal (an island) .

Hi J easy.
I dived Oman last year too (November 2010): Around Muscat and around Salalah. My question is: When diving in salalah, did you dive always from the shore ? ALways around Mirbat ?
or is there any diving center having a boat to go diving in the big blue ?
Thanks.

99% of the time I shore dived from Mirbat. On a couple of occasions we were able to find a local with a boat that took us out from Salalah Port down along the coast where the cliffs are. That was pretty neat diving. Supposedly there is a wreck out there too. I have also done some shore dives from the small beach at the port where the Oasis is. I think that the newer dive center in the Hilton has boat dives set up now on a regular basis. I heard rumors of that before I left Oman 3 years ago.

Fahal Island is probably my favorite dive site in Oman. I've had so many great dives there. Plus the coastline on the boat ride out is amazing!

Back
Top Bottom