Hello ScubaBoard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Live2SeaFish

Registered
Reaction score
I live in New Jersey now. What a terrible state.
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been diving for almost a year now. I often read postings on ScubaBoard to help answer scuba related questions that I find my self asking. I appreciate all of the information that your experienced members have to offer.
I am working on my NAUI advanced certification, and I'm hoping to go NC wreck diving at the end of September if we don't get blown out. I want to be prepared, so I've been reading all I can. Safety comes first!

My scuba instructor suggests carrying a dive reel when wreck diving. The choices seem to be exhausting, so I am trying to figure out what reel I should purchase. Any suggestions?

I just carry a Halcyon finger spool, but I suppose any delrin finger spool is just as good. I can't imagine he wants you to lay line in an advanced class.

He says that getting used to using a reel is something that takes practice, something that should be done before you even get into the water. Diving on wrecks that are broken into pieces warrants the use of a reel to find one's way back to the anchor line. My NAUI training has always emphasized safety and prepares me to know what to do in a pinch. From what I have read, carrying a reel can have many uses that can help you when problems arise.

Hi ...
wavey.gif
& Welcome to ...

:sblogo::colouredsmilies::colouredsmilies:
banana.gif

This is the place to be!

He says that getting used to using a reel is something that takes practice, something that should be done before you even get into the water. Diving on wrecks that are broken into pieces warrants the use of a reel to find one's way back to the anchor line. My NAUI training has always emphasized safety and prepares me to know what to do in a pinch. From what I have read, carrying a reel can have many uses that can help you when problems arise.

I see. Well, in that case, I guess you'd want to have a reel with enough line to cover whichever wreck you intend to dive, and without knowing the specifics it's hard to recommend one. I agree that it's useful to carry a reel for GP, and for that, I carry a 100' fingerspool clipped off on my butt D-ring. A piece of gear that really enhances a reel's usefulness is a good lift bag or SMB. Have fun with your course!

welcome aboard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom