helmet mounting lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't get it. You need a helmet to protect your head from getting hit and then you put your backup lights on there so that they take the damage? A helmet doesn't seem like a safe place for a light if you're going to be hitting things with it.

My backup lights are very resistant! (just kidding!)

It might be strange, but it is so - besides that, you're wearing 3 head mounted (shock resistant) lights in three different spots, so the chances that you hit something with, are small. And of course you try to avoid hitting anything with your helmet

Rather than jumping on the "Why the (*&^%(*& do you wear a helmet and blind your buddy because you are wearing lights on the head" stuff. I thought I'd try something different. I made an assumption that there were good reasons to do it and then I went looking for them.

WOW! British caves are different!... I found a decent web site www.cavedivinggroup.org.uk that I learned a whole lot from. Some of it was brilliant and some amusing (like comparing the vis to different styles of drinks : Guinness to White Wine :D)

Please check it out with an open mind. British caves are different, the logistics are different, the history is different, and the mind set is different - is it so much of a leap of logic to understand that the equipment and techniques will end up being different too?

I'm not trying to start any flames wars or nasty-grams, I'm not trying to be anti-DIR or euro-centric either.

This is like a bunch of parrots. I have dry caved for years and your light is HELMET MOUNTED what you do is never look your partner(s) in the face. Or maybe dry caves are just smarter then wet cavers. Why dont people learn to think for themselves. When I was cave certified in 91 we were taught the greatest tool we took into the cave was our brains. No I am afraid this is a lost lesson.

cheers

Originally posted by Ground0
This is like a bunch of parrots. I have dry caved for years and your light is HELMET MOUNTED what you do is never look your partner(s) in the face. Or maybe dry caves are just smarter then wet cavers. Why dont people learn to think for themselves. When I was cave certified in 91 we were taught the greatest tool we took into the cave was our brains. No I am afraid this is a lost lesson.

Not everything that works dry caving works underwater.

Ok. Now how do you make eye contact if you can't look your buddy in the face? Eye contact can tell you more about what he's thinking than just about anything else, so it seems to be stupid to lose that possibility. In a dry cave you can talk. Underwater that's not an option, so why interfere with communication?

You lose the ability to use light signals, easily at least, when you helmet mount. What do you do to replace that?

I'm interested in what you do to solve those problems, and if they're not, why?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom