Helmet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These have been around for a long time. Cressi and Poseidon made them before IST did a copy I believe.
Some older models were not made of silcone (and are still available, I think) and were real crap. The rubber would break down and crack within a matter of months. I don't know how useful this style mask would be for the recreational diver, but for what I do with it, it's great. I can't imagine going back to a regular mask.

Some older models were not made of silcone (and are still available, I think) and were real crap. The rubber would break down and crack within a matter of months. I don't know how useful this style mask would be for the recreational diver, but for what I do with it, it's great. I can't imagine going back to a regular mask.

Yes, silicone wasn't available in any diving mask until the mid 70's. The rubber seemed to be a problem with most masks; although their was quite a bit of difference between manufacturers in the quality of rubber they used. I kinda liked this model, as far as sport diving FFMs go, but it couldn't be adapted for communications. I used it for ice diving in the early 70's.

I use a Guardian from OTS currently.

PICT0341Large.jpg

A few years ago I used a Kirby Morgan EXO26.

The Guardian for my needs works just about perfect. :)

I have been eyeballing the OTS Guardian. I would love to be able to try one out. My wife likes the idea having verbal communication during a dive.

Sea Trek. I know it's not what you meant, but for its intended purpose, it was superb. It gave my non-diving sister a chance to commune with the fishes.

Attachments

• SeaTrek.jpg
    SeaTrek.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 212
Deep Sea/Heavy Gear/Hard Hat:
• US Navy Mark V
• Seibe Gorman,
• Kirby Morgan

"Modern" Hats:
• Kirby Morgan/ Diving Systems International Clam-Shell & Superlites
• Navy Mark 12
• Savoie
• Miller
• Desco pot
• Sat Hat,
• Aquadyne
• Swindell
• Rat Hat
• La Spirothechnique
• lots of home-mades and prototypes.

Full Face:
• Kirby Morgan/Diving Systems International/US Divers Band Masks
• Normalair
• AGA
• Jack Brown
• Aquadyne
• La Spirothechnique drysuit/deathwish.

Most are shown on this site:

Modern helmet and mask collection

I own, and use, a KMB mask from 1973. I am not sure of the designated number, maybe a 2? I know it is a Navy Mk1. It is plastic, instead of fiberglass (EOD I'm told) and was distributed by US Divers back then. Have had it worked on at Morse a few times. Sometimes I use a hose and bailout (and comms), sometimes just scuba, and comms, if there is no entanglement issues and it is fairly shallow. That is usually for a quick recovery and tie in. I don't, always, use a standard harness as I have an old bc in case I need lift for me. Most of my stuff is recovering dropped or broken equipment, or raising sunken boats and barges. For boats and barges I used a standard equipment configuration, hose, comms, bailout, harness, etc.

I also own a KM Exo-26. I like this for vehicle recoveries, and inspection work, as it is lightweight and again I can use scuba and a comm-line to make it easy and safe.

The band mask you describe is most likely a KMB-10. Orange or red plastic shell with all the usual band mask parts. I owned a KMB-9 which is similar, but it was stolen from the Long Beach aquarium when I loaned it for a display. :depressed:

I've been using the IST mask for many years. Simple, reliable, no frills, pretty much indestructable. Perfect for my needs.

fullfacemask.jpg

Oh, right! I used to ice and cold water dive with one of these! I totally forgot! I sold it to a friend who is a public safety diver in Delaware.

The band mask you describe is most likely a KMB-10. Orange or red plastic shell with all the usual band mask parts. I owned a KMB-9 which is similar, but it was stolen from the Long Beach aquarium when I loaned it for a display. :depressed:

I think that may be. It has had a lot of years of welding and use before I got it and I have used it a good bit since 2003.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom