Help a scuba dad & son

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sean326

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been an avid diver since my teens, My son who is 13 has been waiting for 10 years to get certified (I know he could have gotten certified at 10 but my wife overruled PADI).

Now 1 week before he is scheduled to start his class the doctor has said he has to get tubes put in his ears to help with chronic ear infections......

I know there are full face masks, and even a dry ear mask
on leisure pro

my questions are:

Can a special mask keep his ears dry ?

Can a kid with ear tubes dive at all ?
(I understand they dissolve and fall out after a year or so)

I have a feeling if I ask the non diving doctors they will just say no.

I don't want him to hurt his ears but if he can dive I would want him to. when I discussed postponing getting certified he started to cry (in a grown up cool 13 year old boy way).
;-0

I suggest you post this in the "Diving Medicine" forum. They will be honest with you, They know what it is like to want to dive Really badly :)

The dry ears type mask is only part of it. His ear infections will cause havoc with his ability to clear his ears. Let the drains do their work then take up diving in several years when he has better ear health. I don’t know an instructor who would take him on at this point. I have taught kids who have had ear tubes, the condition cleared and then they were OK by their Doctor to dive and they have had no problems.

As a father of three divers I understand your desire to help your son enter the world you enjoy so much .. but!!!

You need to really ask yourself are you doing what is right for your son at the moment?

He is still young and you still have lots of time to share the good times, Let him heal first then get him diving.

Remember there are lots of ways to get ear infections in this sport. He is already having trouble fighting them off and with the pain they cause you may be setting him up for a bad experience that could turn him off to the sport.

It may be better to let him froth at the bit for another year (desire is not always a bad thing) and let the doctors and his body fix the problem.

I'm not trying to stop you from looking at the options just reinforcing the arguement you must be having with yourself.

My vote would be to wait and see if the problem clears up, if it doesn't, then go with the options found during your investigation.

Hallmac

ScubaSky once bubbled...
I suggest you post this in the "Diving Medicine" forum. They will be honest with you, They know what it is like to want to dive Really badly :)

Thanks for the advice, I actually did post it in both places, I wanted to cover my bases and get mask / equipment feedback here and medical feedback on the other forum.

I becoming resolved to the fact that he is going to have to be satisfied with splashing around in the pool for another year, until his ears heal......

That is tough! I feel bad for anyone that can't dive when the want to.

But I think it is better to wait and want than to damage something permanantly or end the possibility of ever diving again.

Hang in there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom