Help! Broken latch Fantasea housing!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cochise86

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
On our 2nd day of diving on Bonaire, the latch on my housing(Fantasea RX100VA) broke, 15 more days of diving to come…visited a few shop but no luck for a spare latch….anyone has a solution?

On our 2nd day of diving on Bonaire, the latch on my housing(Fantasea RX100VA) broke, 15 more days of diving to come…visited a few shop but no luck for a spare latch….anyone has a solution?
Can you post some pics of the latch?

Ouch. Depending on your level of desperation, you could try duct-taping it together to get through the first few meters of water, then the pressure should hold it shut. If you've got the vacuum port, that will help keep it closed (and of course, let you know when things have gone wrong.)

I imagine the latch looks something like this, proprietary Fantasea. Unless the break is easily repairable, I would imagine it will need to be serviced by Fantasea. Have you tried Fantasea customer support? Fantasea Line Water Sports Photo Products & Accessories- Customer Support Center

Fish Eye Photo in Kralendijk is listed as a Fantasea Premium Dealer, 18 Kaya Gob. N. Debrot +599 717 4571

Good luck

1661383299316.png

I imagine the latch looks something like this, proprietary Fantasea. Unless the break is easily repairable, I would imagine it will need to be serviced by Fantasea. Have you tried Fantasea customer support? Fantasea Line Water Sports Photo Products & Accessories- Customer Support Center

Fish Eye Photo in Kralendijk is listed as a Fantasea Premium Dealer, 18 Kaya Gob. N. Debrot +599 717 4571

Good luck

View attachment 739644
Looks very similar to an Olympus latch. Is it the black part that rotates, the clear part that gets gripped, or the shaft that holds the rotating black part onto the case that is broken?

I don't think they are around anymore.

Ouch. Depending on your level of desperation, you could try duct-taping it together to get through the first few meters of water, then the pressure should hold it shut. If you've got the vacuum port, that will help keep it closed (and of course, let you know when things have gone wrong.)
Something like that may just work fine. On my last visit to Bonaire, one of the hinge pins on my Nauticam Canon G7X housing fell out. The rear door was quite unstable. I put a safety pin into the hinge. I simply closed the back tight, applied vacuum, and went diving. The green light let me know that I was maintaining vacuum and not leaking during the dive. I had the housing rebuilt by Reef Photo when I got back.

Of course, this assumes you have the Fantasea Hybrid Vacuum Safety System installed in your housing.

Their website was flagged as insecure, I did not try it. I have not visited them since they were located at Sand Dollar, many years ago.
They closed in 2021 and I believe sold their stock to Dive Friends, I was told.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom