Help End Cruel Shark Tournaments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i'm not a troll. and honestly i'm only talking about species of sharks that are no where near endangered.

saw something on waterchannel last night that was talking about the kind of thing that you guys are outraged about. some movie guys were trying to catch a shark to use in their scene and in the process killed and left to rot in the ocean a couple of dozen big beautiful sharks just because they were not what they were looking for.

it made my stomach turn to watch that.

viajerochevere:
i'm not a troll. and honestly i'm only talking about species of sharks that are no where near endangered.

saw something on waterchannel last night that was talking about the kind of thing that you guys are outraged about. some movie guys were trying to catch a shark to use in their scene and in the process killed and left to rot in the ocean a couple of dozen big beautiful sharks just because they were not what they were looking for.

it made my stomach turn to watch that.

That is terrible! (And I'll admit I have enjoyed shark in the past) There are many fishing practices that are flat out wasteful such as shark-fin harvesting and dredge netting. I know this thread was about something different but I find such practices an embarassment to the human race...

mtg:
That is terrible! (And I'll admit I have enjoyed shark in the past) There are many fishing practices that are flat out wasteful such as shark-fin harvesting and dredge netting. I know this thread was about something different but I find such practices an embarassment to the human race...

Finning and dredge netting - those are among the most serious issues that must be taken on for the sake of shark conservation. But HSUS is protesting a tourney that is endorsed by Woods Hole and used to gather samples for their research. Why? Because it is harder for them to get their names in the press if they are talking about finning or commercial fishing. This tourney is an easy target for them. Problem is, it is also a misguided. But I guess it is fitting that a misguided organization would take on a misguided target. :rollevley

Here is the Humane societys website if people want to hear what there sayin.

WWW.hsus.org

deeper thoughts:
Here is the Humane societys website if people want to hear what there sayin.

WWW.hsus.org

To call HSUS "the Humane Society" is deceptive.

http://www.activistcash.com/organization_overview.cfm/oid/136

Should be required reading these days. This company doesn't run or fund any animal shelters, yet they incessantly use puppies and kittens in their advertising to yank on heartstrings for donations, pulling those well-intended funds away from the animal shelters they would otherwise have made it to. I would recommend putting just a tad less stock in anything they have to say than I would in what PETA has to say. PETA are a bunch of crackpots, but at least they are honest crackpots.

SB users are too intelligent to fall for crap like this.

Still we need to post there website and the let our forum members decide either way

Fine. Post the link. Post the link describing what exactly the organization is, too.

The organization is deceptive, and so was your approach to putting it out there.

"I want to build a National Rifle Association of the animal rights movement." -Wayne Pacelle, President, HSUS

Sound like someone folks around here would want to back?

Deceptive or just giving our members the other side. Then our members will have both positions, this is only fair.

http://www.activistcash.com/organization_overview.cfm/oid/136

HSUS is a multinational conglomerate with ten regional offices in the United States and a special Hollywood Office that promotes and monitors the media’s coverage of animal-rights issues. It includes a huge web of organizations, affiliates, and subsidiaries. Some are nonprofit, tax-exempt “charities,” while others are for-profit taxable corporations, which don’t have to divulge anything about their financial dealings.

This unusually complex structure means that HSUS can hide expenses where the public would never think to look. For instance, one HSUS-affiliated organization called the HSUS Wildlife Land Trust collected $21.1 million between 1998 and 2003. During the same period, it spent $15.7 million on fundraising expenses, most of which directly benefited HSUS. This arrangement allowed HSUS to bury millions in direct-mail and other fundraising costs in its affiliate’s budget, giving the public (and charity watchdog groups) the false impression that its own fundraising costs were relatively low.

How's that one grab ya'?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom