Help from YS-D2J users

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Following up on my post re: Eneloop Pro batteries in the other thread mentioned above. No issues since switching to regular Eneloop batteries for my YS-D2 or YS-D2J, despite frequent usage over several years in a variety of conditions.
My YS-D2J strobe flash tube is being repaired by Pacific Housing Repair via my strobe dealer, Mozaik. PHR made comments to me regarding the D2J strobe that were similar to Backscatter.

PHR said "black Eneloop Pro batteries can be problematic. They generate a lot of heat. Too much power can burn out the circuitry. Heat buildup in the strobe is the problem but 100 frames on a dive should be ok (I was shooting 100 photos per dive). Shoot primarily at a lower power not full manual power. Go with the white eneloop batteries" . PHR also noted that if some water gets into the sealed battery compartment (mine were dry), the black batteries give off a lot of gas and cause the water to leak into the circuitry compartment, leading to strobe failure. Also, they note some people do not change the black batteries each day as they would with other batteries (because the black batteries last longer), and so there is greater risk of o-ring failure via less frequent maintenance.

I have passed this on to Sea & Sea because they fail to publicly recognize problems that customers and authorized repair shops highlight. A key problem is that the manual says the strobe will temporarily shut down if it gets too hot. This is misleading because the flash tube explodes before a shut down. I have switched to white Eneloop batteries and will reduce power to GN 22 on the D2J. I hope my repaired D2J will live a long second life. It was an expensive lesson.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom