Help from YS-D2J users

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The YSD2 production was moved to Japan I believe after the change of ownership at some point. From what I understand the company is on it's third ownership since the original two brothers founded it (date?).

I've gone through two YSD2s and one YSD2J and have been using Black Eneloops and Eneloop Pros for several years. I rarely shoot at full power or multiple back to back shots as my usual subjects don't move that fast.

It would be good to have some independent study regarding use of certain batteries with certain strobes. I don't shoot with flash much topside, but when I do I use Eneloop Pros in my SB800 Nikon flash without any issues.

Searcaigh, thanks for checking. Below is another thread that mentions the Eneloop Pro battery issue, but the most reliable source is the repair shop, of course. Sea and Sea support said they recommended Eneloop Pro batteries, whereas the repair shop said do not use the Pro batteries with the D2J strobe (they are fine with the newer D3 strobe). The link below seems to wonder whether the Eneloop Pro batteries enables more rapid firing and therefore more heat buildup, leading to problems with the strobe. Sea&Sea YS-D2 strobe failure

Following up on my post re: Eneloop Pro batteries in the other thread mentioned above. No issues since switching to regular Eneloop batteries for my YS-D2 or YS-D2J, despite frequent usage over several years in a variety of conditions.

That said, I’d be hard pressed to buy another Sea & Sea strobe or purchase anything serviced by Backscatter. See the other thread for more on why. It’s interesting to see that the authorized repair techs are recommending against using Eneloop Pro batteries now too.

Lance

It’s interesting to see that the authorized repair techs are recommending against using Eneloop Pro batteries now too
But apparently the authorised repair techs are Backscatter (in the US) with whom you don't want to use.

Makes me wonder if Backcatter techs are using the Eneloop Pro as some sort of excuse for failures, but I'd like to know the reason why these batteries are being blamed for performance failures, specifically from the manufacturer.

Unfortunately I don't have a local tech to check out my strobes if they fail, and have to send them to Singapore as I've done in the past.

I personally don't have an issue with Backscatter, having bought several bits and pieces from them including their Mini Strobes, one of which failed to turn on at all out of the box and was replaced without any argument, but it cost me over a hundred dollars in courier fees along with additional import duty.

I am now using a YSD2J and a YSD3 Mk2 together, I'll be sure to report any issues with either of them should it they fail. That said, Andrew Yeo of Sea & Sea Singapore told me that there are no more new spare parts for the YSD2s (J or otherwise) and my main buddy's YSD2, that she's been using for almost eight years, packed in when we were in Bali last month.

On the battery side of things, she's been using Eneloop Pros before I switched to them, and recently only moved to IKEA rechargeable batteries as her Eneloops were needing charging more frequently.

But apparently the authorised repair techs are Backscatter (in the US) with whom you don't want to use.

Correct. Backscatter’s lack of response as a service center, apparent disconnect from their sales side of the business, and late acknowledgment that systemic YS-D2 product issues exist all combine to form a poor customer service picture. Was that your point?

No problem if you’re good with using them. I’ll give my business to vendors like Reef Photo instead.

Lance

They have good service techs?

From my experience, yes. They rebuilt a couple of housings for me with zero problems.

This is a little bit of an apple vs. orange discussion though, since the manufacturer chooses their authorized service centers. I was referring more to the sales side above.

Lance

Some strobes fail, others don't.

Is there value in a thread about old workhorse strobes that refuse to die?

I recently purchased a YS90 DX Duo strobe to add to my strobe bin.

I look older, not newer...

I recently purchased a YS90 DX Duo strobe to add to my strobe bin.
I still have one of these, I bought it to use with my Nikon D70 back in 2002/3

I must check if it still works.

I have been very pleased with the Backscatter service department on the west coast of USA. They were very quick to respond to my numerous questions about the D2J strobe when I was in Fiji. When I asked about factors leading to blown flash tubes, they mentioned the use of Eneloop Pro batteries. They recommend the use of the white Eneloop batteries (as shown on their webpage for the D2J, but the page does not say do not use the Pro batteries). In an email from S&S, they told me to use the Eneloop Pro batteries.
The Sea and Sea manual for the D2J is misleading because it states that the strobe will temporarily shut down if it gets too hot such as when taking "20 rapid fire shots at full power". Thus, I thought I was safe when shooting the D2J at full power and taking about 100 shots during a 50 min dive. I never took rapid fire shots. My strobe did not shut down before blowing the tube. I imagine the powerful Eneloop Po batteries contributed to the failure beause they quickly reset the strobe to full power. In the future, if I get my D2J strobe repaired, I will shoot at a reduced guide number and will also switch from the 120 to 100 diffuser because other divers claim the 120 is not an improvement over the 100. I will also use the white Eneloop batteries. In the past I had two Nikonos SB105 strobes, and never had any problems with them. But they are a bit big and heavy.

Seems hit or miss, I have two and have never had any issues. But I have friends that have had strobes quit on them after a week. Sea & Sea was pretty cool about replacing them

Back
Top Bottom