Help from YS-D2J users

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timmyy77

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi everyone, I purchased 2 brand new YS-D2J strobes in Jan 2021 and one crapped out on me in May 2022 and the second one crapped out on me on my last trip in Sep 2022. They both started being fickle about a year after I purchased them. Some times when I put the batteries in they would turn on, and some times they will not turn on. Both of them will not turn on now.
They are not flooded. I have tried Amazon rechargeable batteries and alkaline batteries and they still will not turn on. I tried cleaning the contacts and still no. I tried to bring them back into the shop where I purchased them from to see if they can be repaired, but apparently Sea&Sea no longer services them because they are no longer in production, and will be too expensive to repair, so my only option is to splash out more money and purchase YS-D3 strobes after less than 2 years of having them. I really do not want to do that.
Does anyone here using YS-D2J have the same problem and do you have any fixes that I have not tried?
Is this a common issue with Sea&Sea strobes? Should I consider buying another brand strobes like Inon or Ikelites?
Thanks.

I have two YS-D2J strobe well over 2 years old and no issues. You might contact Backscatter, they might be able to help you.

Where did you buy your strobes? Was it an authorized dealer? I would shocked if S&S refused to service their products as claimed. Check out the S&S website for info about how to get service.

As for getting new strobes, I would not buy the same brand that has burned you. There are other good strobes out there in the same class.

One of my YS-2DJ strobes crapped out on me during my last trip to Bali at the beginning of the month on the second last day of my diving there.

My buddy's single YS-2D (not J) crapped out on her during the whole week with intermittent flash working like 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 which was very frustrating.

I also carry the Backscatter Ministrobes as a back up and she ended up using one of these. When my strobe packed in I gave her the other to use and I used the two Ministrobes.

I've sent my faulty strobe to Sea & Sea in Singapore where I bought it and Andrew Yeo has diagnosed that the PCB is dead, no flooding. Unfortunately there are no spare parts unfortunately and he's giving me a good price on the YS-D3 Mk2, so I'm waiting for that to arrive once he receives stock from Japan next week.

I've used Sea & Sea strobes for many years, and I still have two YS-110a that are working well.

The YS-2D and YS-2DJ seem to have been jinxed.

One of my YS-2DJ strobes crapped out on me during my last trip to Bali at the beginning of the month on the second last day of my diving there.

My buddy's single YS-2D (not J) crapped out on her during the whole week with intermittent flash working like 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 which was very frustrating.

I also carry the Backscatter Ministrobes as a back up and she ended up using one of these. When my strobe packed in I gave her the other to use and I used the two Ministrobes.

I've sent my faulty strobe to Sea & Sea in Singapore where I bought it and Andrew Yeo has diagnosed that the PCB is dead, no flooding. Unfortunately there are no spare parts unfortunately and he's giving me a good price on the YS-D3 Mk2, so I'm waiting for that to arrive once he receives stock from Japan next week.

I've used Sea & Sea strobes for many years, and I still have two YS-110a that are working well.

The YS-2D and YS-2DJ seem to have been jinxed.
Thanks. Sounds like what is happening to mine as well. I've been using Sea&Sea strobes for many years but after 2 ruined dive trips in one year, I may have to find another more reliable strobe manufacturer with better service.

I have two relatively new, pristine condition, Sea & Sea D2J strobes, and both failed during my trip to Fiji in Sept 2022. I purchased the strobes just prior to the Pandemic but did not use them much until January 2022 (Maldives). They worked fine when using Duracell rechargeable batteries. For the Fiji trip, I switch to the black Eneloop Pro batteries, which are highly rated. After about 4 dives (100 flashes per dive, full power with preflash), one strobe turned off without warning and would not turn back on. Ultimately, I discovered that tapping the strobe with my knuckles (one time usually) turned strobe back on. Shaking the strobe did not cause it to turn off or on; battery cap terminals were tested to be fine. I do not think the power shut down was due to overheating from multiple flashes because it would not turn on after waiting many hours; only turned on after a tap. After 20 dives, the second D2J strobe blew its flash tube without warning. No moisture, no flooding, essentially pristine condition. The electronic lights still turned on. I contacted Backscatter and my dealer (Mozaik), who is helping me fix the blown tube. Even though blown flash tubes seem to be common in the D2J strobe, Sea and Sea refused to fix it because warranty time had expired. After the blown tube, I wondered about the powerful Eneloop Pro batteries, so I switched back to the Duracell rechargeable batteries in Fiji. The "working" strobe seemed to shut down less frequently during a dive (once per dive) and I could quickly restart it with a tap underwater. Later, to my surprise, Backscatter mentioned to me that the black Eneloop Pro batteries are linked to blown flash tubes in the D2J strobe but not the newer D3 strobe that replaces the D2J. Backscatter recommends the white Eneloop batteries. Wish I had known this! I asked Sea and Sea about using the black Eneloop Pro batteries in the D2J strobe and they said I should continue to use the Eneloop Pro batteries. Apparently S&S does not read Scubaboard and does not listen to their authorized repair shops. I just sent the "working" D2J strobe to Backscatter for diagnostics. Needless to say, I am very disappointed in Sea and Sea customer service, and I am wondering if the Lemon Law applies to the failed D2J strobes.

Backscatter mentioned to me that the black Eneloop Pro batteries are linked to blown flash tubes in the D2J strobe but not the newer D3 strobe that replaces the D2J. Backscatter recommends the white Eneloop batteries.
That's interesting, I've never heard of this.

I'm going to check with with my Sea & Sea contact in Singapore to find out what his opinion is.

I'm going to check with with my Sea & Sea contact in Singapore to find out what his opinion is.
My friend at Sea & Sea in Singapore has never heard of this issue and is going to check with Sea & Sea Japan.

Searcaigh, thanks for checking. Below is another thread that mentions the Eneloop Pro battery issue, but the most reliable source is the repair shop, of course. Sea and Sea support said they recommended Eneloop Pro batteries, whereas the repair shop said do not use the Pro batteries with the D2J strobe (they are fine with the newer D3 strobe). The link below seems to wonder whether the Eneloop Pro batteries enables more rapid firing and therefore more heat buildup, leading to problems with the strobe. Sea&Sea YS-D2 strobe failure

I think 400 full power flashes have more to do with the failures than your battery choice. There should be very little need to shoot at 100%. Drop down at least one stop/click on the power dial.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom