Help identify these Force Fins - Old SD1s?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Terrapin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Can anyone help identify these Force Fins? They have Military SD1 embossed on the blade but the blades are mostly flat and the foot pockets are sewn vs laced to the blade.

Full_Size_Render_4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Full_Size_Render_5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Full_Size_Render_6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Full_Size_Render_7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Full_Size_Render_8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

---------- Post added April 14th, 2015 at 08:21 PM ----------

I also just noticed that the number 92 is engraved by hand on the bottom of each blade.

SD-1 Military is the model, exactly what is printed on them. I'm pretty sure the 92 is put on when they go out to keep track of who they went to.

SD-1 Military is the model, exactly what is printed on them. I'm pretty sure the 92 is put on when they go out to keep track of who they went to.

Thanks for the reply. Maybe my initial post wasn't as clear as it should have been. I realize the fins say Military SD1, but I have seen photos of the actual Military SD1 fins in other threads on this forum and they have upturned corners on the tips vs the completely flat blade on the fins I have. Also, the textile upper is hand laced with cord to the fin blade, whereas the fins I have the upper is sewn to the blade. And the production fins have a felt pad on the bottom for grip while walking and mine do not have that.

Here is a link that shows a photo of what I believe are the actual production fins:

WOW! Its 2007 - Force Fin Spring Production....

And this thread has a photo of the Military SD1 on the production line, clearly different blade than what I have:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/force-fin/260344-day-force-fin-hq-usa-2.html

I am wondering if the ones I have are an early prototype version, or possibly a follow on that was tried as an update to the SD1s?

From Bob Evans

Who every has these fins got them from either John Wall's store, The Dive Shop, or ???.

They are truly one of a kind, a very few being made for testing of sewn foot pocket to the blade.

We now lace the foot pocket to the SD-1 blade.

Made over 25 fin blade designs for the SD-1

These blades were flat and we ended up with the design of up turned wingtips on final model.

:D

Terrapin, You have a pair of experimental SD-1 made for testing with Seal Team One, San Diego. A very rare pair, I have the other set in my collection. When asked to make this Force Fin model I spent 2 years and over 25 different fin changes. It's a story meant for a book. Wonder how you came upon my fin. ?fab-fin - Copy.jpg

Hi,
I'm new to this forum. Looking at this Force Fin thread I realized that the SD1 fins were ones that I sold. I knew they came from the Seal Team, but do not know the exact history. I have some other sets from the same source that I cannot determine the model. One is like the black pair except it is green with no markings. The other also has no model number. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

forcefinblack1.jpg

forcefinblack2.jpg

forcefingreen1.jpg

forcefingreen2.jpg

forcefingreen3.jpg

The second pair looks like a pair of "slim fins". These are used for building strength when swimming. Can be used for snorkeling since the work better on the surface than most Force Fins.

the top pair look like early Excellerating Force Fins. They look like they can take a pair of whiskers. I will see if I can get Bob to look at these and give you a definitive answer.

Looks to me like David Libby sold me out. These force fin experimental models were never to be sold. Not good at all.

---------- Post added July 9th, 2015 at 05:53 PM ----------

surfron, I would like to say you are selling stolen goods, but will hold off on that thought..... These Force fin's belong to my company Bob Evans Designs Inc. and were involved with a Special U.S. Navy project. I now know they were given to a David Libby, Special Agent and should be return to me asap. My address is 27 West Anapamu Street #318, Santa Barbara, California 93101. I would suggest to get back those pair you sold and return them also. We will not ask questions, just do the right thing.Thank you. Bob

Hey Bob,
Pretty heavy handed!!!!! These were purchased through legitimate channels. To insinuate that I stole them and them post them where the supposed owners would see them is absurd. If you have any beef, it should be with David Libby.

Back
Top Bottom