Help identify this sting ray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Hi all, I'm not sure if this is in the correct subforum, moderator please move if necessary.

I was snorkeling at Crescent Bay in Laguna Beach, CA this afternoon, and came across an interesting sting ray. The head looked big and defined, but I don't know the type. I've attached a picture, can anyone identify it? The big one was about 4-ish feet across (it looked big, but I'm trying to be accurate and not exaggerate), and the little baby one was about 12 inches across (not pictured). I've edited the photo in Photoshop to remove the green and brighten up the image, nothing else. The images are from a GoPro Hero 3+

stingray3.jpgstingray2.jpg
stingray4.jpgstingray.jpg

I am no expert, but I looks like an Eagle Ray. The variant without the white spots.

That really looks like Jerry.
RichH

Bat Ray? Bat ray - Wikipedia - aj was right. :acclaim:
The bat ray (Myliobatis californica)[1][2][3] is an eagle ray found in muddy or sandy sloughs, estuaries and bays, kelp beds and rocky-bottomed shoreline in the eastern Pacific Ocean, between the Oregon coast and the Gulf of California.
1280px-Myliobatis_californica_monterey_bay_aquarium.jpg

Wow nice pics! And that's an interesting looking Sting Ray!
I'm gonna have to agree based on the pics and location that it looks like a Bat Ray.... never knew of one till now!

Yep, Bat Ray. Myliobatis californica.

Pretty common around So. Cal. waters. I saw 3 or 4 (not sure if I saw the same guy more than once though) yesterday in Catalina.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom