Help identifying tank valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tg0dmw

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi I have recently acquired two faber 12.2l steel tanks and put them through hydro.

I was also advised by the seller to have the valves serviced and would like to attempt this service myself.

I searched the forums and found "maxdive2007" on ebay to be regularly recommended but they could not identify the valves when i contacted them.

Just wondering if someone here can point me to the correct service kit for these valves. They look identical to me but im not sure. Cheers!

20200505_160941.jpg 20200505_155517.jpg

20200505_160941.jpg

20200505_155517.jpg

Welcome to SB! The images aren't shown. The easiest way to attach image files is to copy paste them in the text.
Cheers

Welcome to SB! The images aren't shown. The easiest way to attach image files is to copy paste them in the text.
Cheers

Hi Stefan!! Thank you for helping out this newbie. I have no access to a computer right now and am posting from a phone. Would dropbox links work on this forum? Appreciate all the help!

On a phone you tap "upload a file", navigate to your pictures and select the one you want to upload.

Im in Australia. They dont even inspect visually. Hydro annually is just a requirement for you to get your tanks filled here.

S.o.S. is San-o-Sub a company in Northern Italy (Corona Country) that makes valves for everybody, Scubapro, Halcyon, BTS, etc. Great maker of valves and not expensive, of course as soon as someone else rebadges them they cost twice as much.
Take one apart, and take the underspindle along to a good dive shop. They should be able to source underspindles that fit since these come in 2 different styles and threads.
Take the O-rings to an shop selling O-Rings and get a handfull of them cheap. Then ultrasonically clean the valves and rebuild with a new underspindle, O-Rings, and if mounted a new burst disk (cavers in north Florida usually replace the burst disk with a stainless steel disk that doesn't burst. They figure that the tank neck O-Ring will melt, long before the tank will burst in a fire.), the old split nylon ring can usually be reused several times.

Michael

Thx michael. What about the valve seat? Over here its a requirement for the burst disc to be in place for shops to want to fill your tank.

Thats why i was hoping to get a kit, im assuming everything that needs to be replaced will come in it and everything that doesnt come in the kit will go in the ultrasonic washer.

check in the dive shop if their burst disk assys will fit on your valves, otherwise use the old Florida Cavediver trick with a stainlrss steel disk inserted under the old burst disk assy. As long as you know what you did and can keep it in mind it's OK. In europe burst disks are unknown, and very few extra people die because of that.
I'm sure kits are available, somewhere, but I've never bought a kit since I rebuild my valves for the price of an underspindle and a few O-Rings every 10 years or so. If kits are available they won't come with burst disks anyway sincte the probability that it would have the right pressure rating is slim. The shop doing the valve service would normally supply the right burst disk.
Soon Florida will have 65 more tanks without burst disks and I'll be very happy to get them back from the shipping company.
Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom