Help in choosing snorkel vest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and hope I can get some advice from those who know more about snorkelling than I do. We snorkelled in Cook Islands last December. I'm 64 years old lady who has snorkelled previously and can swim but not that fit nor a great swimmer. In the deeper areas of the lagoon I found it difficult treading water so tired very easily. I have seen online that there are snorkel vests so wonder if this is something that would be helpful for someone like me. We're heading back to Cook Islands in 7 weeks so I really want to make sure I have the best experience this time around. We rarely get the chance to snorkel so I'm not looking at spending a lot of money. But I've seen these vests online on ebay and other placces. They are an inflatable life jacket that you pop over your neck. Some have straps that go around the waist and others that have a crotch strap as well as the waist. I wonder if someone can advise me which would be best and if you think it's worth the money (around $A30). I wonder if the crotch strap would ride up and be uncomfortable to wear? Any advice on the better brands etc would also be good. Thanks for taking the time to read my question and hopefully give me some advice which will be greatly appreciated.

We bought two of the Scuba Choice vests through Amazon and we were very impressed with the speed of delivery considering we are in Australia and it only took a week to arrive. We won't be using them till a couple of weeks.

A bit late to the party but I hope you chose the one with crotch straps. They are simply more secure and won't try to come off you by itself. It also makes laying on your back easier without it popping off. Also try to practice using the inflator in shallow water. I wish they made one with a dump valve, so it's easier to deflate it quickly and freedive when you need to go down quick (like a passing turtle) :).

That's great, Karen! It seems like you have a little time to try out the vests before you travel. I hope you enjoy Cook Islands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom