Help: Looking for location suggestion for a ~2 month dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mastakebob

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all. I got about 2 months of vacation coming up sometime between June '11 and November '11 and I figured I'd spend it diving in the South East Asia area. I've never been there and I heard the diving (and lifestyle and prices) are fantastic. I'm hoping that some of you experts on the area can give me some high level pointers on where to start looking. I'm sure that this question has been asked many many times before, but searching for such a personalized question is difficult. So, please, bear with me.

Details: I'll be traveling by myself (mid-20's male). I'm not looking for a hyper-touristy area, but I'm not looking for complete and utter isolation, either. I'm primarily looking to spend my time diving, drinking beer, and sight-seeing (in that priority). While I don't see professional diving in my future, I see no problem with getting my DM while I'm over there (especially if its an 'unlimited fundives for free for the duration of your DM course' type of deal). As for my diving preferences, my biggest is I prefer variety. If I had to choose, i'd probably say wreck-diving is my favorite, but I have no problem with looking at the pretty fishes on a shallow drift dive. I'm open to the idea of backpacking if it is cost effective and the best way to see the area. As for shore-activities, I am looking for a location with a solid bar/party scene. I only speak English but don't mind being in a foreign language speaking area.

I've found a few locations that seem to match what I'm looking for, but am sure I missed many possibilities...

For those of you who have been to Roatan, I enjoyed my time there even if I thought the diving was a bit repetitive.

Thanks in advance and thanks for reading all the way through this long post!

Well, from June to November, you should probably consider the weather patterns and begin your trip in the western Pacific (Sulu Sea/Molucca Sea/Banda Sea/Celebes Sea) area because of the monsoon season patterns.

If it were me, I'd begin in June in the Philippines and go to Tubbataha (on my bucket list, in fact), then head to North Sulawesi, then to Sipadan, then to Bali, and finally to Thailand.

Tubbataha may take some effort and expense to dive, and Sipadan isn't what I'd call cheap, but Malaysia does have some cheap, very laid back diving up in the Terengganu Marine park on the east coast of the Malay Peninsula if you want some down time in a place with a lot less international demand than Sulawesi and Sipadan.

Try to time your arrival at Bali around August/September so that you can go to Nusa Lembongan and dive with the mola-molas. While you're there, head up to Tulamben to do some great dives in that area.

The best diving we have in the Andaman Sea/Indian Ocean side of Thailand, for example is from November to May, so you could head up this way after Bali, at the end of your time frame and get on a liveaboard to the Similans/Surins, throwing in a few more obscure places like Pulau Weh and Koh Lipe along the way.

That's how I'd do it, I think, if I had all the time in the world. I realize that you don't have all of those months, but only two months from among them. Still, you'll need to follow the weather so that you're not stuck in some place in the middle of the monsoon season.

As for shore-activities, I am looking for a location with a solid bar/party scene.

The choice is very limited!!!!
Night life and GOOD diving just do not mix very well!!! However, there are few exceptions though(my personal experiences)!
Indonesia: Kuta Beach in Bali. Dive sites are far away.
Philippines: Subic(wrecks) and Puerto Galera. All the dive sites are very near.
Thailand: Phuket after liveaboard trip to Similan. The local dive sites are far away.

6 weeks in Philippines and Indonesia and the last 2 wks at Koh Tao in Thailand.

I would suggest to include Maldives ( 7 nights liveaboard ) and 2 to 3 nights on a resort hotel on top of Thailand / Philippines and Indonesia.
Its completely different in Maldives.
Maldives liveaboards are a bit expensive though the price includes all the taxes / excursions to desert islands / bbq on desert islands / snorkeling / night fishing and the resort life style gives you another amazing experience.
It may be expensive but worth diving in Maldives once in your life time.
I would suggest November for you trip to Maldives.
Liveaboards recommended in Maldives :
Luxury - Mv. Sachika
Deluxe - Mv. Ari Queen
- Mv. Eagle Ray
- Mv. Sting Ray
Recommended Resorts for 2 to 3 nights :
Bandos Island Resort and Spa
Rannali
Huduranfushi
Cheers

Wow, lots of information. Thanks! Of course, now my search space has increased dramatically... But thats a good thing.

So, am I reading this right that if I'm there in June/July, I should be focusing on the Philippines and Indonesia?

Maldives... not exactly in the area I was looking at, but that doesn't mean I can't cross through there on my way to or from.

Is it difficult to travel between Indonesia/Philippines/Thailand? Would it be possible/recommended to just kinda choose a starting point and island-hop my way around the region based on recommendations? Or do I need to have the trip well-planned out in advance (visa's, lodging, classes, airfare, etc)?

Is it difficult to travel between Indonesia/Philippines/Thailand? Would it be possible/recommended to just kinda choose a starting point and island-hop my way around the region based on recommendations? Or do I need to have the trip well-planned out in advance (visa's, lodging, classes, airfare, etc)?
Travel itself is pretty easy. There are lots of regional flights, and depending on the area, even ferries or trains.

Visas are another issue and depend on your nationality. You give your location as Kuwait, but are you Kuwaiti? For Thailand (just as an example), citizens of Kuwait may enter for 30 days without getting a visa ahead of time. For Indonesia, you buy a visa on arrival--price depends on length of stay. For Malaysia, you get a 3 month stamp on arrival. Here's a link that may be of help to you if you are Kuwaiti (though somehow, with a username that includes "bob" I have my doubts).
Visa Requirements for Kuwaiti Citizens

Edit: I just noticed your DoD IP, so are you American? If so the very same visa rules apply that I described above for Kuwaitis--30 day visitor stamp for Thailand; buy a tourist visa on arrival in Indonesia; 3-month visitor stamp for Malaysia.

June in the Philippines and go to Tubbataha (on my bucket list, in fact), then head to North Sulawesi, then to Sipadan, then to Bali, and finally to Thailand.

This sounds like fantastic diving - but certainly not cheap :)!

:giggle: Wisnu is calling me smart :).

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions after the read.

Back
Top Bottom