Help me choose a BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iceaxe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm a new diver looking to pick up some gear...can you guys recommend some good bcds to look into? I really would like to get one that is not to bulky with back inflation. I'm about 5'10" and weigh about 155 lbs. Any advice is much appreciated.

I am thinking to get the Zero Tech from Coltri Sub. Excellent value for money. I have a heavy weight as well. So I will let you know. Cheers

Check out the Zeagle Brigade.

It's not the cheapest unit on the market, but it's worth every nickle! This is an item available only through ScubaToys (www.scubatoys.com). You can mix and match the components to get a good fit. It's back inflation, a reasonable travel size, and will serve you well for years as it's not starter equipment.

Good luck!

Things to look for in a BC:

1. No padding - Padding requires additional weight, yet compresses at depth so it no longer cushions. Additionally, air in a BC lifts the BCs weight off your back rendering padding redundant. Padding also increases drag, making dives in current more difficult and increasing your air consumption.

2. No cummerbund - Cummerbunds increase drag.

3. Dump valve at the highest point of the BC. - Inflate the BC and hold it up as if you were wearing it at the surface. Is the dump valve at the highest point? If not, look for a different BC. If it is, turn it as if you were swimming in a prone position. Is there a dump valve at the highest point? A good BC will pass both tests. If the dump valve is not at the highest point, it will trap air, requiring contortions to dump all the air or additional lead. A nice extra is a right shoulder dump valve and dump valves at the bottom.

4. No fabric covering of the bladder. - These BCs are sometimes called "bladderless" or "single bladder BCs." The fabric covering creates drag in current.

iceaxe:
I'm a new diver looking to pick up some gear...can you guys recommend some good BCDs to look into? I really would like to get one that is not to bulky with back inflation. I'm about 5'10" and weigh about 155 lbs. Any advice is much appreciated.

In addition to the ScubaPro KnightHawk already mentioned I would also consider a used Aeris ATMOS XT or a new ATMOS LX.

This BC give you the back-inflate capability of the KnightHawk with a slight amount of air forward to keep you upright on the surface.

SS Backplate with a 35# wing (Oxycheq signature is good). Come over to the dark side Luke!

Mike

I really love my new dive rite trans pac I also use a zeagle ranger as a back up.

-SC3

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom