Help me decide.... Komodo, or Raja Ampat- May 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi

I've been on a LOB in Komodo at the end of October 2008 and it was great! Awful currents, careful with down currents... but wonderful mantas, some sharks, a lot a critters...
October/November was a good season to dive both north and south of the Komodo area.
I wrote a report on my web site... I'm sorry, this is in French, but you can have a look at the pictures to have an idea about what to see

Report : Mantaleau - RñÄits des plongñÆs - IndonñÔie : CroisiïÓe Komodo - Novembre 2008

Underwater pictures : Galerie photos sous marines - IndonñÔie Komodo croisiïÓe Novembre 2008
Manta pictures : Galerie photos sous marines - IndonñÔie Komodo croisiïÓe Novembre 2008 - Raies Manta
Nudibranch pictures : Galerie photos sous marines - IndonñÔie Komodo croisiïÓe Novembre 2008 - Nudibranches
Komodo dragons : Galerie photos - IndonñÔie Komodo Labuan Bajo Novembre 2008 - Varans ou dragons Komodo et Rinca
Visits and cruise pictures : Galerie photos - IndonñÔie Komodo Labuan Bajo Novembre 2008 - Visites et croisiïÓe

The price of the boat was 150 USD per day with 3 dives, 160 USD with 4 dives. Their web site is : Aridive

About Raja Ampat, I'm planning a dive trip there. I found a boat less expensive than the others (of course, less confort... depends on what you want) : 1790 Euros for 13 days, this is about 180 USD per day with 3 dives, a 4th dive is possible.
This is the boat : Komodo and Bali - Dive and Sailing Vessel in Indonesia - Home

Having been to Komodo once and Raja Ampat three times, I totally agree with broadreach that you must be very comfortable with currents. Even on descent, be prepared to suck the air out of your BC to make a quick descent head first to get to G spot on the reef, or else be blown away.

The currents are sometimes very tricky, there are very strong down currents that will push you down from 6 metres to 18 metres in a matter of seconds.

That said from my personal experience, both Komodo and Raja Ampat have been the best diving I've ever had in all my 27 years of diving. I have only done liveaboards as it addresses my desire to dive in remote areas that are difficult to access from land, iow, saves time ... you're at the dive site while you sleep or relax during your surface interval.

Yes, the Shakti is the same liveaboard that I dove with for three consecutive trips.. Dave Pagliari the owner is one of the first liveaboard to operate there and he knows some awesome sites that other operators do not. I highly recommend the Shakti as well.

Broadreach's post is very informative and accurate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom