Help me decide where to go, por favor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lisa0825

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hola! I am going to be rescheduling my Cozumel trip for Carnaval, but I don't want to wait that long to get my first dives in after my recent OW certification. I am thinking about just taking a road trip for a long weekend. I have been looking for info on diving off the Texas Gulf Coast, but so far what I have seen is for deeper dives than I feel ready for (such as Flower Gardens). I was also looking into the Florida panhandle. I would prefer to dive on the coast rather than in a lake or quarry.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me on where to go? I'll need a place where I can rent my equipment and preferably have a divemaster dive with me since it is my first venture.

Muchas gracias!:D

"preferably have a divemaster dive with me since it is my first venture"

Any op that you select should place a DM in the water with you but do not expect anything more than someone who points out cool stuff and tells the group when to surface.

If you need "hand holding" (and who doesn't now and again?) look me up or hire a DM of your own. They aren't that much to hire for a dive and if you are having newbie competency issues (the norm!), why not get some assistance?

Do not expect the group DM to do much under water other than point out fish, rocks and the boat when it's time to go up.

If you put where you're from in your profile it's a lot easier for us to help you. :)

We will be carving pumpkins underwater on Saturday Oct. 29 at Gilboa quarry in OH if you would like to join us. The water is still in the 60's at the depths you are interested in and there will be people of all ability levels there including instructors that you could buddy up with. I believe the quarry has some gear available for rent but you would have to call them for that information 419-456-3300.

It's a great quarry to dive in and we'll have a couple heated shelter tents to retreat to after the dive.
Ber :lilbunny:

RoatanMan:
"preferably have a divemaster dive with me since it is my first venture"

Any op that you select should place a DM in the water with you but do not expect anything more than someone who points out cool stuff and tells the group when to surface.

If you need "hand holding" (and who doesn't now and again?) look me up or hire a DM of your own. They aren't that much to hire for a dive and if you are having newbie competency issues (the norm!), why not get some assistance?

Do not expect the group DM to do much under water other than point out fish, rocks and the boat when it's time to go up.

yeah, I am looking for some good ol' hand holding!LOL! One site I saw said they offered that for an extra charge, which is fine for me. I'm leaning toward Florida now, because my googling hasn't turned up much on Texas.

Ber Rabbit:
If you put where you're from in your profile it's a lot easier for us to help you. :)

We will be carving pumpkins underwater on Saturday Oct. 29 at Gilboa quarry in OH if you would like to join us. The water is still in the 60's at the depths you are interested in and there will be people of all ability levels there including instructors that you could buddy up with. I believe the quarry has some gear available for rent but you would have to call them for that information 419-456-3300.

It's a great quarry to dive in and we'll have a couple heated shelter tents to retreat to after the dive.
Ber :lilbunny:

oops! I didn't realize I missed the location part of the sign-up:) Thanks for the info:)

I did my certification dives in the Blue Lagoon in Huntsville, TX. I think I'd really like to go in the Gulf this time. I am looking at Destin, FL right now.

IMO if you are going to go to the Gulf, then make it more of a road trip, and hit the East Coast. WPB, Jupiter (a bit advanced), Lauderdale, or the Keys are going to be a MUCH better diving experience.

IMO the Keys are about as good as it gets for easy diving. Currents are generally mild, the coral and marine life is excellent, and most dive profiles will not require a safety stop!

Shore diving is a bit more difficult IMO expecially without a guide. If you do hit Destin, then make sure you get yourself attached to a local SB guide :D They know the tides, know when to dive, know where to go, know what to see, and know when to get out, and where.

Good Luck,

RonFrank:
IMO if you are going to go to the Gulf, then make it more of a road trip, and hit the East Coast. WPB, Jupiter (a bit advanced), Lauderdale, or the Keys are going to be a MUCH better diving experience.

IMO the Keys are about as good as it gets for easy diving. Currents are generally mild, the coral and marine life is excellent, and most dive profiles will not require a safety stop!

Shore diving is a bit more difficult IMO expecially without a guide. If you do hit Destin, then make sure you get yourself attached to a local SB guide :D They know the tides, know when to dive, know where to go, know what to see, and know when to get out, and where.

Good Luck,

Thanks for the tips! If I am going to drive alone, the Destin area is about as far as I'd trust myself to drive in one day. I imagine I'll hit the Keys someday when I have more time and when I'm not driving. I'll probably pop into the Florida forum later too. I just posted here initially, since I was still thinking about Texas as well, so I thought I'd post where anyone from anywhere would see it:profile:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom