Help me decide ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divernoob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hello, all. Long time lurker, 1st time poster.:dork2:

I'm relatively new to diving (c. 30 dives) and tired of taking crappy UW pics with my L4 Coolpix. I've done lots of reading here and elsewhere and I'm now looking at 2 different camera\strobe rigs.

First, I was thinking the Canon S90 with OEM housing. I was going to couple that with an Ultramax UXDS-1 strobe kit from Optical Ocean Sales. This will run me about $900.00.

Second, I was considering the Sealife DC800 Pro Kit (with SL961 strobe) from B&H Photo for $700.

I'm thinking with the Canon set up, I've got room to grow (both in learning and adding goodies, i.e. another strobe or focus light, etc.). The downside is additional expense and more complicated to use. I'm also an abject noobie in photography.

With the Sealife rig, I figure it's much more idiot friendly and of course, cheaper. The downside is that the camera is not as capable and the setup doesn't appear as expandable.

Any thoughts y'all could offer would be greatly appreciated!

The Canon is the way to go and Jack is a great resource to help you along the way.

Now for my standard rant regarding new divers and cameras. Said rant is based on trying to protect the creatures and environment we all love. Please spend time perfecting your buoyancy camera in hand. Number one rule should be never more than one finger on the reef. So practice back-kicking, helicopter turns, ankle kicks, and changing depth with just the air in your lungs. NO PHOTO is worth damaging the creatures or structures we all spend so much time and money to see. End of rant, thank you for your patience.

Thank you for the reply. Believe me, I know how annoying it can be when diving with someone who can't control their buoyancy properly. My last trip I got kicked I don't know how many times but this guy who looked like he was juggling while riding a unicycle.

Go with the S90. I'ts not really more complicated, they are both compact cameras with strobes. Jack will be a great resource, and will talk you through properly connecting the strobe to the camera.

Unfortunately poor photos can be taken with any setup :) A private lesson can always be helpful, or posting photos with settings here for feedback.

good luck,
Scott

I'll add a vote for the S90, initial reports are all positive and the sensor is the same as the popular G11 and the electronics are the same as the G11 and some of the dSLRs. I haven't used any Sealife cameras, but I would find it hard t believe that they have as advanced electronics as they don't have the R&D experience of the big camera makers. (I could be wrong, for all I know they could have Nikon, Sony, or Canon develop the internals)

yeap, don't go Sealife...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom