Help me decide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

galvanni

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm a fairly new diver and want to start owning my own gear. I have narrowed my search to AquaLung Legend LX Supreme, Apeks XTX200 and Zeagle Flathead 7 and need a tie-breaker.

I do not see myself doing much cold water diving - but I will occasionally see mid to high 40s in a NE quarry between travel, which is mostly warmer climes. I will do some Nitrox, but I do not see myself going beyond the 40% mix that most regs are safe with. All recreational limits and tech diving will never be in my sights.

This is the one piece of equipment that I will not skimp on - so price is not an issue. What is an issue is that I want the reg that's most suitable for me. I know these are all top of the line regs and all well suitable for anything I'm going to be doing. My main concerns are 1) I want an awesome breather and a comfortable rig and 2) long-term servicing costs between them and availability of parts - I know Zeagle is going to be a bit of a problem here - but they look solid to me so that's why it's on my list.

I left out Sherwood SR1 because it has a short history and not a stellar one at that. I am open to other suggestions if there are a few others that I should be considering that are comparable to these three.

I just went thru the same process and had narrowed my choices down to the apeks and zeagle both of which were servicable and available from a LDS. I ended up going with a leftover flathead IV and then added an aftermarket miflex hose which is standard on the flathead 7. From what I was told, the 1st stage of the flathead 7 was made by taking a flathead IV and shaving off excess metal to reduce weight and add more surface area (less chance of freeze up). In your case freeze ups isn't an issue, and weight only comes into play for travel baggage weights. The second stage Z on the 7 has a smaller exhaust T than the flathead IV's ZX. I was a little paranoid of the bubble interference of the Z and figured the ZX 2nd stage on the flathead IV might be better at reducing bubble interference. The cost savings between the two even after the miflex hose purchase was about $ 150. The IV is noticably better breathing than my old poseidon triton(the bic lighter of poseidon regulators). I went with a LDS for easy service, but the last I knew zeagle express had the IV for less than $400. Maybe your LDS can offer a similar deal, mine did.

Why go for the most expensive model?
Apeks and Zeagle regs are all balanced diaphragms, which seal their internals and are good for moderately (mid 40's) cold water without the extra seal.
Especially with Zeagle and Apeks there's hardly any (none) real world advantage in terms of gas flow between the XTX 20 and the XTX 200, same goes for the Envoy and Flathead.
The real only difference is the cold water seal, turret and shape.

This applies to both Zeagle and Apeks.

The 1st stages all use the same service parts.
The potential gas flow of the cheapest is higher than gas can go through a tank valve.

All their 2nd stages are the same. All are balanced and use the same service kit.
They all will feel and breath identically.
Added cost brings an adjustment knob and a slip-on heat sink.

I agree, Fishpie.
It would appear that galvanni was talking to someone at an LDS who fed him the "what's your life worth" nonsense. All of the regs mentioned (and many, many others) will serve him just fine for the diving he plans--and much more.

Why go for the most expensive model?
Apeks and Zeagle regs are all balanced diaphragms, which seal their internals and are good for moderately (mid 40's) cold water without the extra seal.
Especially with Zeagle and Apeks there's hardly any (none) real world advantage in terms of gas flow between the XTX 20 and the XTX 200, same goes for the Envoy and Flathead.
The real only difference is the cold water seal, turret and shape.

This applies to both Zeagle and Apeks.

The 1st stages all use the same service parts.
The potential gas flow of the cheapest is higher than gas can go through a tank valve.

All their 2nd stages are the same. All are balanced and use the same service kit.
They all will feel and breath identically.
Added cost brings an adjustment knob and a slip-on heat sink.

+1 What he said!

I had not received much advice at all from my LD shops. I originally started looking at mid-range regs and figured then that the extra cost to go env sealed is not that significant so I said what the heck - can't hurt to have a sealed reg. Then I started to look at the difference from them to the top models and once again figured - what the heck is another bill or two going to hurt. I'd also be inclined to pony up a few more bucks to have an excellent breather.

So in short - I coerced myself into the top models - no influence. I figured if they don't necessarily breathe better, then they must at least be more comfortable. And no - I never bought into the "your life depends on it" scare tactics - I've rented bottom line regs so far and I have no problem with dependability (or perceived lack thereof) where I dive. The only thing that ever really concerned me were thoughts of a freeze-up and unmanageable free-flow resulting (although this one I'll admit is probably me just being way too paranoid knowing that I may do more shoulder temp diving). Although I still do not think I'm that far off base in thinking that ponying up a few more bucks for a sealed reg is too over-the-top.

But I see the point and I am willing to step back from the top end a little.

So aside from the top end - allow me to re-phrase the question. Which would you go for in the mid-range offerings from these vendors?

I do appreciate the help - I'm just new to this so I'm also paranoid of having to buy something twice - I've done that with almost every sport I've engaged in and it sucks because like every other sport I've done that with - you don't get much for selling used goods.

Last edited:
They are all Apeks regs. Aqualung's business is to travel the world affiliating itself with other companies or taking them over.
They make squat that is any good any more.
Zeagle just made an excellent choice.

They are all Apeks regs. Aqualung's business is to travel the world affiliating itself with other companies or taking them over.
They make squat that is any good any more.
Zeagle just made an excellent choice.

Zeagles aren't Apeks'. Zeagle used to distribute Apeks regs in North America, and when Aqua lung bought Apeks and cut off Zeagle's source for regs, Zeagle hired Jim Fox from Sherwood, and gave him free reign to design the best regs he could. He used the Apeks design as a basis, and then improved on areas that Zeagle had the most issue with during their Apeks years, specifically the high pressure seat. The current Zeagle regs use a conical HP seat, versus a knife edge seat that many others use.

Cheers,
Jim

Zeagles aren't Apeks'. Zeagle used to distribute Apeks regs in North America, and when Aqua lung bought Apeks and cut off Zeagle's source for regs, Zeagle hired Jim Fox from Sherwood, and gave him free reign to design the best regs he could. He used the Apeks design as a basis, and then improved on areas that Zeagle had the most issue with during their Apeks years, specifically the high pressure seat. The current Zeagle regs use a conical HP seat, versus a knife edge seat that many others use.

Cheers,
Jim

When you look at the repair manuals you can see the common ancestry; as a DIY guy I've got to say the basic design (whoever gets final credit) of the Zeagle Flathead is wonderful.... great performance, rock solid IP, and the easiest design I currently own to service.

Add to that the ability to openly obtain parts without any secret handshakes in dark alleys, and Zeagle is the winner.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom