Help me decide.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

66gt350

Reaction score
I've decided that it's time to get a new dive computer, since getting back into diving. The old US Diver M1 battery is dead and it's not worth replacing. But it does make a nice paper weight. :D From the reading I've done I've narrowed it down to a couple of choices and would like to get some opinions.

I orginally was thinking of the Uwatec SmartCom, but with the recall and not available yet -- that one is out. So, I'm thinking the Suunto Cobra or the Aeris Atmos AI. Are these fairly comparable? Or is one just plain better than the other?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rob

I have nothing against the Cobra... but I'm not too fond of console mounted systems for the simple reason of wear & tear. Consoles are usually subjected to more bangs and scrapes than a wrist mounted computer.

That's all... other than that, I'd go with Suunto (I did, got a Vytec) ... check out the Vyper as well. :)

Well, I made my decision...I found a brand new Uwatec Smart Com, that a guy never used (not even registered yet) and had to get out of diving due to health reasons. If that wouldn't have come along, I think I would have gone with the Suunto Cobra.

I was going to get in the mix and make my case for Uwatec but you have already done the deed. I think you will be happy with it, I have a SmartCom and an older NitroxPro and love both. I adjusted (via the IR PC interface) the Smart to it least sensitive positions and adjusted the reserve air to more realistic numbers for my diving, but mine has worked fine.

As for the recall, I honestly believe that as the software becomes more all encompassing there will be "glitches" identified in many of the computers on the market. I think this recall showed the right intent on Uwatec's part. I think that this is also the place to add that if you can't do tables and keep a running idea of where you are during your whole dive that you are absolutely putting your self at risk using a computer. Trust is one thing, blind belief is totally different.

Personally, I use Suunto's. I like them and would recommend them. But, I won't put blind faith in ANY computer. I learned dive tables in training for a REASON.

It is no different to me than using a calculator. I trust it, but always backcheck it with my brain before committing to what it is telling me.

I here that the UWatec is very good computer.

Just my .02 also, I recently got the Uwatec Pro Ultra and have used it on 10 dives. So far I'm quite pleased with it, easy to use, easy to read with a very reliable track record. For me it came down to something as simple as display preferrence that kept me from going with the Vyper. They are both excellent computers.

i vote for the vyper, just got mine, done some dives on it...excellent computer

With regards to the postings about the Suunta and the Uwatec computers, I personally have to say I prefer the Uwatec computer in comparism to the Suunto.

I just find that the Uwatec, is offering only what is required and nothing less or more. Suunto computers look very nice, but I personally prefer just a simple screen and that's all.

With regards to alternatives for both the Suunto and the Uwatec, I like the VR3 computer, as it can be used in more than just sports diving, but also allows you to modify gasses and can be used with a rebreather.

http://www.vr3.co.uk/

Hope my comments help!

Paul

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom