Help me identify steel tank manufacturer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tygh

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I have figured out everything about a used tank I just obtained except the manufacturer. It is a LP95. Has the Canadian TC-3AA184 and DOT 3AA2400 markings. My understanding is that the manufacturer puts their identifying mark or name after the serial number.

The serial number for this tank is E341813 followed by a diamond with the letter c in the diamond. Can anyone identify this manufacturer marking???

Thanks for the quick reply. I am unable to find any info on this brand. Are they still around? I can only find the Coyne steel 80 on any of the charts I have found.

Tygh:
Thanks for the quick reply. I am unable to find any info on this brand. Are they still around? I can only find the Coyne steel 80 on any of the charts I have found.

I have "Coyne" scribbled across a spec sheet from a now defunct company called Dolphin Cylinders. I used to be sort of anal about collecting tank info so I think this is your tank.

Specs:
97 cu. ft. at 2640 psi
23.8 inches long
8" diameter
38.8 lbs. empty weight
-2.98 lbs negative empty

Hope that's useful.
Neil

Tygh:
Ok, I have figured out everything about a used tank I just obtained except the manufacturer. It is a LP95. Has the Canadian TC-3AA184 and DOT 3AA2400 markings. My understanding is that the manufacturer puts their identifying mark or name after the serial number.

The serial number for this tank is E341813 followed by a diamond with the letter c in the diamond. Can anyone identify this manufacturer marking???

Just an aside to this. The TC-3AA184 marking tells you this:

TC = Transport Canada
3AA = Steel cylinder
184 = 184 bar working pressure

The other marking DOT3AA2400 tells you this:

DOT = Department of transport (USA)
3AA = Steel
2400 = 2400 psi working pressure

You'll notice that 184 bar is more than 2400 psi. 10% more to be exact. Somewhere in the markings you should be able to find a "+" mark as well which tells you that you can fill it to 2400psi + 240 psi which works out to the same as 184 bar

In other words, it's a low pressure tank. Fill it to a maximum of 184bar/2600psi

R..

Tygh:

3AA means its a Chrome Molybdenum steel as opposed to 3A which is a carbon steel.

I think that Coyne Cylinder Company (SCUBA only) became Taylor-Wharton - or something like that. I believe that Coyne only made steels and TW made Aluminum. Coyne Industrial cylinders are still available.

I seem to recall some problems with TW tanks as well.

I was looking at the Oxy and Acetelene tanks in the shop today, and they're all made by Coyne. BTW, what size tank is an oxy tank that's about 4.5 feet high?

teknitroxdiver:
I was looking at the Oxy and Acetelene tanks in the shop today, and they're all made by Coyne. BTW, what size tank is an oxy tank that's about 4.5 feet high?

Depends on the pressure. Tanks can be 2015, 2400, 3600, 4500.....

but a 51 inch tank at
2015 can be 220 cf
2265 can be 250 cf
3600 can be 373 cf
4500 can be 440 cf
6000 can be 470 cf

Assuming a outer diameter of around 9 inches.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom