Help me over analyze on a 3mm: Deep6, Waterproof, Mako

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No knock on a Deep 6. It looks pretty nifty. You mentioned a concern about the fit since you already use Bare I thought it worth mentioning. The pockets look very handy. I use the Apek tech shorts for pockets Apeks Tech Shorts

So I ended up calling the folks at Deep6 and I think I am holding off on that one for a while. I'm just a little bit too between sizes for my liking. I ended up going with the Waterproof pending a test fit.

As far as pockets I don't have a huge need for them, and I can get a single XS scuba pocket for $20 which I feel would work 99% giving where I am experience level wise anyway.

I actually ended hitting upon pretty much the same thing already posted, which was to look at Bare suits. I ended up going to my LDS which carries Bare but they didn't have the Velocity which is in the right price range. A Reactive would be awesome but it's too expensive. LDS claimed that Bare is actually going to stop carrying the Velocity. Not sure I buy that since Bare seems to list new model on their site. I may end up ordering one to check out.

I'll post up what I think of the Waterproof and if I end up going with something else.

Just a little more food for thought.

I have used highend Henderson suits and the Bare Velocity. I am very familiar with the Waterproof suits.

This past week I dove my new Mako 3 ml wetsuit for the first time shore diving Bonaire, 26 dives and 29 hours underwater, and I alsolutely love it.

Yes, it does take lube but literally 1 minute to spray and then it goes on like butter. The only snag is swimsuit/trunks and for men this area is minimal. I truly mean it just glides on. And adjustment is so easy. Doffing is no big deal either, especially with a partner but I was able to do it solo and I have shoulder issues.

I love the two pc design. For the shore dives I would put the pants on before leaving the condo then finish donning at the dive site. This February for Cozumel boat dives I plan to do much the same. The video shows spraying the lube into the linning but last week, since the suit was already inside out, I would just spray before turning right side out and then just put it on. It was so easy. Another bonus of the two piece design is fit and more forgiveness in the torso area for a little taller or shorter than the ideal height.

And so light and comfortable. By far the most comfortable suit I have worn. For warmth comparison, in temps where I would be wearing a 3 ml plus hooded vest giving my core 6 ml, I was toasty warm in just the Mako.
I love this suit so much I wish @MAKO Spearguns made a 1 or 2 ml in the Yamamoto neoprene for my summer divng. I do not want to go back to a standard suit when the Mako 3 mil might just be too warm.

And right now they are on Black Friday special...

I got the Deep6 3mm recently and I cannot be more impressed at the quality.

Neoprene: The neoprene was nothing short of amazing. The quality as compared to a cheap 3mm one I got at $60 was miles apart.

Fit: The size S fits me perfect in terms of length of the limbs, the shoulders, torso and legs. I suspect you'll get a better answer in terms of fit by calling the cool guys at Deep 6. I believe they are back from DEMA as well today.

Kevlar Pads: I like the Kevlar parts near the shoulder region since I use a BPW as well. It is nice to know that the webbing will not be causing premature wear along areas of friction. It comes in the knee and crotch area as well.

Hermetic Seal: This is real good stuff. I can't speak enough of it, but if you do get one, you will be VERY pleased with it. The seal is very well done and does what its supposed to do.

Little details: Grip pads on the forearms, reflective patches, GIANT pockets (which some says cost $50 to add to an existing wetsuit), glide skin at the wrist and ankle areas.

Over all I think you will be pleasantly pleased with the Deep 6 and I think it's a good idea to get one soon under the Black Friday sales. Really good price as well.

When you say good quality neoprene what does that mean? Less prone to compressing? Softer?

When you say good quality neoprene what does that mean? Less prone to compressing? Softer?

Yes, personally I feel that it compresses less at depth and the quality is just different from my cheap wetsuit. I can't describe it well enough, maybe @cerich can explain it better. I understand it can also be because the wetsuit is still new, hence compressing lesser.

Thanks very much for taking the time to share your experience with the MAKO suit. We have a 2 mm yamamoto wetsuit, but it is a very different suit, with a back zip, one-piece design and nylon on both sides. It is similar to most suits scuba divers use.

We have not made freedive suits thinner than 3 mm because the thinner suits are not as strong without the benefit of a nylon layer on each side. Some manufacturers do make suits like that however.

We have not made freedive suits thinner than 3 mm because the thinner suits are not as strong without the benefit of a nylon layer on each side. Some manufacturers do make suits like that however.
OMG. Out of curiosity I googled 1 and 2 ml open cell wetsuits. 350 to 450 dollars!

I will wait until you perfect a Mako version :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom