Help me pick a regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You've made a good choice in the Oceanic that you're thinking about. It is a fine regulator, performs well, holds up well and is backed by one of the most responsive companies in the world.

You make a comment like this that is derogatory and unqualified and then you refuse to give details to the manufacturer's representative because you consider the matter "resolved" is very unfair and unprofessional.

Larry

What is wrong with his comments? He sounds like he told the truth and the fact that he does not remember (or choose to state who he spoke with at the company) does not make him unfair or unprofessional. He had some bad experience, tried to resolve it and the result was that he was no longer comfortable choosing this particular life support equipment. He doesn't own the regs and has nothing to "resolve". I think he owes the company NOTHING!

What is wrong with his comments? He sounds like he told the truth and the fact that he does not remember (or choose to state who he spoke with at the company) does not make him unfair or unprofessional. He had some bad experience, tried to resolve it and the result was that he was no longer comfortable choosing this particular life support equipment. He doesn't own the regs and has nothing to "resolve". I think he owes the company NOTHING!
I agree whole-heartedly.

The Captain doth protest too much, methinks.

With apologies to: Hamlet Act 3, scene 2, 222–230

I hear speak of Oceanic regs,I know Aeris and Oceanic BCs ,or at least was told this,come off the same assembly line>Do Aeris and Oceanic regs come from the same factory,are they basically the same? I have an Aeris AT400.maybe a starter reg til I move up or it may turn to be great for what I do.Info,opinions appreciated

P.S...I think I already know its not balanced or very good for cold,cold dives.,,Thanks

Aeris AT400 is a good reg...even for cold water as long as you use a suitable second stage.
The first stage on AT400 is an Oceanic CDX-5 with a different label...or vice versa, how ever you want to look at it. Whether those two first stages come from the same factory (aka assembly line), I don't know, but they sure use the same components.
AT400 (and therefore CDX-5) is a BALANCED diaphragm and environmentally sealed. I know some guys use the CDX-5 on their doubles for tech diving, so I doubt you'll ever have to upgrade to any other reg.
From personal experience, I've taken my CDX-5 (coupled to an aqualung LX second) down to 165ft at 40F...breathes as nicely as it does at 30ft.

Ok thanks,,,,next question,,,The Atmos Sport second,,,,Info,opinions please,,,should have put that in the first question,,but I didnt,,so,I'll ask now,,,thanks again

Funny you should mention...I also own an Aeris sport regulator. I fact it's the first regulator I purchased. I've been diving it in quarries (110ft, 41F) and oceans without any hick ups...always delivers all the air I need. One time I was swimming at 50feet against a current so strong, I burned through over 500psi of air in a matter of minutes, but never felt short on air or anything like that.
I would trust this regulator in any water environment, up until ice diving. And even then, I would probably just use it with a different second stage more suitable for very cold water, like the Aqualung LX I mentioned before.
Are you looking to purchase a regulator or just curious?

...Just to clarify, I am referring to the Aeris Atmos sport regulator in my previous post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom