Help me plan my vacation in SE Asia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Steev

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Guys and Girls

I'm planning a 5 week vacation in SE Asia and Auz in Nov - Dec 2012. I'm planning on being in Auz til 22 Nov then I have just under 3 weeks for Asia.

I was thinking of doing something like Auz, Singapore, Thailand and Hong Kong. The question is where is the best place for diving?

I'm quite happy to only do like 2 or 3 days each in Signapore and HK and have the rest for somewhere where I can do a lot of diving.

So my questions I guess are really where should I go? Thailand or Indo or Malaysia? (Pretty sure I'll get a million different answers) Budget is going to be tight. Around $150 per day.

Also should I be looking at a 3/6 day liveaboard or day trips and such.
I found this and it looks quite good with 13 dives and quite a few sites, though it will stretch the budget a bit. (P.S hope linking to sites like this is ok) Similans - Richelieu Rock - Surins Liveaboard - 4 Days/4 Nights aboard M/V Le Mahé

By the time I go I'll be OW2 (30m), night and nitrox certified and will have around 15 - 20 dives under my belt. More if I get to the diving in Auz I plan. Currently OW1 certified with only 4 :depressed: dives.

That's a broad question--"where to dive in Southeast Asia?" I have a suggestion. If you intend to mix diving and touring around for several weeks, consider the places on land that you might be interested in visiting. For example, I was in your situation a couple of years ago and wanted to visit the island of Borneo. I ended up doing some diving in Sipadan (Malaysian Borneo) and then making my way over to Sulawesi, Indonesia to do some more. This year, my wife and I liked the idea of seeing some more of Indonesia, so we did a Komodo liveaboard (and see the dragons!) and then spent a week in Bali and then a few more days in Kuala Lumpur visiting some friends there. If you've got time on your hands, combining diving with touring around can be fun, and it can help you narrow down where you might want to dive. If you've never been to Thailand, there is plenty to see all over the country, and you could wrap up (or begin) your trip with some diving in the Similans, as you mentioned, or elsewhere out of Thailand. Maybe buy travel guidebooks for Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand and thumb through them to get an idea of what land-based adventures might tickle your fancy, then pick somewhere to dive that fits your land itinerary. And of course, don't forget Australia--the Barrier Reef is a gem--if you want to see some of that country.

If you don't care about touring around on land and want to dedicate your whole trip to diving, then you can't go wrong with any of the popular regions in Southeast Asia and Australia.

Scuba Steev, of the places you list, there is good diving in Australia and in Thailand. Singapore has no diving worth doing, and even the nearby diving to Singapore (in Malaysia) is closed down at that time of year due to the monsoon season being in full swing by then. Hong Kong is going to be very cold by then, and besides, Hong Kong divers consider the Philippines as their "house reef". Indonesia has very few areas that are also not battling the monsoon in November/December, and those places are really out of the way. So you are left with Australia and Thailand for diving.

Australia is a huge place, so a lot will depend on what else you want to do while you're there and how much time you plan to spend doing it. (This is sort of what Lorenzoid was getting at in his reply.) Diving in Australia isn't cheap, so your daily budget is likely to be insufficient.

Thailand is a lot smaller, and while there's tons to do, you can easily squeeze in a few days of diving and still have plenty of time. I'd recommend a liveaboard to the Similans and Surins national parks for a four-day trip. There are less expensive trips than LeMahe, trust me.

PM me if you'd like more detailed information about Thailand specifically or SE Asia in general. (My Australia knowledge is limited to my own few visits there, so talk to somebody located there as they will be in a better position to give you the sort of information about options you will want--you shouldn't base your choices on advice from somebody with limited experience in a place.)

Thanks for the info.

I'm definitely not planing on diving Singapore or HK, those are just tourist stops.

In Auz I'm going to be with friends in Perth for a few days and then family in Brisbane for around 10 days and will for sure be making my way up to the Barrier Reef. This whole trip started with a plane for those two things around Brisbane; Family and Barrier reef.

So with it being Monsoon season everywhere then I guess my decision is made for me. Thailand it will be.

Thanks again.

I may take you up on that offer for more info, Quero.

Thanks for the info.

I'm definitely not planing on diving Singapore or HK, those are just tourist stops.

In Auz I'm going to be with friends in Perth for a few days and then family in Brisbane for around 10 days and will for sure be making my way up to the Barrier Reef. This whole trip started with a plane for those two things around Brisbane; Family and Barrier reef.

So with it being Monsoon season everywhere then I guess my decision is made for me. Thailand it will be.

Thanks again.

I may take you up on that offer for more info, Quero.

I have never dove in the phuket area, but it is my general understanding that the philippines has as good if not even better diving than Thailand. I have dove off Koh Tao in Thailand and the diving was OK, but the philippines has a lot more to offer in my opinion. You can fly from Hong Kong or singapore to Cebu on cebupacificair.com and visit Malapascua, excellent place for a new AOW, i would recommend getting your nitrox certification also. You can dive with Thresher Sharks as they have almost daily sightings, but on top of this, they have great diving and many sights within a 20 minute boat ride. Best part of the philippines over thailand is it will be cheaper to get to and you should spend less when you are there.

Of course if budget doesnt matter so much, I would recommend either Sipadan or Raja Ampat, Indonesia (although they will both require a stopover from hong kong or singapore). I dove Sipdan last january and as it was low season it was much easier to get permits to dive sipadan. I have never dove raja ampat because of its remoteness, but i believe that is good season also.

The Philippines is going to be fine at that time and is a fantastic place. It has a looong list of incredible (and relatively accessible) dive locations. Malapascua for Thresher Sharks, Mantas and world class macro, Anilao for critters as good as Lembeh, Sogod for Whalesharks and much more, Apo Island, Apo Reef, Moalboal.

You can fly direct to Cebu from Singapore and Hong Kong for very cheap and base yourself in The Visayas. And it suits your budget with change.

The Philippines is going to be fine at that time and is a fantastic place. It has a looong list of incredible (and relatively accessible) dive locations. Malapascua for Thresher Sharks, Mantas and world class macro, Anilao for critters as good as Lembeh, Sogod for Whalesharks and much more, Apo Island, Apo Reef, Moalboal.

You can fly direct to Cebu from Singapore and Hong Kong for very cheap and base yourself in The Visayas. And it suits your budget with change.

CebuPacific has very good rates right now from Hong Kong to cebu. I think its like $100us round trip and most of that is taxes.

CebuPacific has very good rates right now from Hong Kong to cebu. I think its like $100us round trip and most of that is taxes.
Air Philippine Express(PAL own) also has cheap flight connecting Philippines and other places as well.

Hi Guys and Girls

I'm planning a 5 week vacation in SE Asia and Auz in Nov - Dec 2012. I'm planning on being in Auz til 22 Nov then I have just under 3 weeks for Asia.

So my questions I guess are really where should I go? Thailand or Indo or Malaysia? (Pretty sure I'll get a million different answers) Budget is going to be tight. Around $150 per day.

By the time I go I'll be OW2 (30m), night and nitrox certified and will have around 15 - 20 dives under my belt. More if I get to the diving in Auz I plan.

There are at least 10 dive destinations in the Philippines which can be enjoyed and will fit your budget. Alona/Bohol, Anda/Bohol, Anilao/Batangas Luzon, Dumaguette-APO ISLAND/Negros, Malapascua/Cebu, Moalboal/Cebu, Puerto Galera/Mindoro, Coron/Palawan, Sogod Bay/Leyte... A couple of places in Mindanao and a few others.....

Do some research on these places and decide if they are what you are possibly looking for.

Where ever you decide to go, I hope you have a great trip....

Cheers,
Roger

I have never dove in the phuket area,
You didn't miss anything. Philippines is simply so much better as you already knew.

---------- Post Merged at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:30 PM ----------

The question is where is the best place for diving?
Budget is going to be tight. Around $150 per day.
Philippines.
Fly to Cebu and to Moalboal(easy dive) follow by bus and ferry to Dumaguete(Apo Island etc) and then another ferry to Alona Beach(Bohol). If you still have time and want a special dive then head to Malapascua to see the thrasher shark.
US$150.00 per day is more than enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom