Help me purchase my primary cavern diving light.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CavernFrog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
From browsing around I have come to the following assumptions:

• 1100-1500 lumens is a good choice
  • Big Blue, Light & Motion, Underwater Kinetics are good brands.
I would really like a comfortable hand mount. I can't seem to find one that looks good from the pictures.

I have read a few disparaging comments about the reliability of the Underwater Kinetics lights.

Thank you for your advice!

tbone, I am not clear as to what you suggest. What light and hand mount are you recommending?

tbone, I am not clear as to what you suggest. What light and hand mount are you recommending?

sorry, the one I linked is the new one. get this one instead for the tighter beam angle. I have these. In either instance, get a pair of Expedition or Explorer lights from Cave Adventurers with the Oxycheq Raider Light Sock. I use these for smaller dives if I'm doing cavern/intro stuff and don't want to bring my big UWLD out or deal with a cable, or in OW.
Cave Adventurers - Explorer back-up lights - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

If you are truly diving caverns and not caves, you really don’t need a great light. If you intend to get cave certified, that is a different story.

@CavernFrog overpriced, don't bother with that until you are committed. The small backup lights are comparable to 10w HID's that we used as primaries for many years in terms of output. That light is good, but you don't need something quite like that yet. Get through the cavern/intro course first with the backup lights. Once you've done that, go up to Cave Adventurers and they'll let you test dive a whole slew of different lights so you can figure out what you want to buy before you buy. Prevents a lot of buyers remorse

I am cavern certified. My next trip is in a couple of weeks to Morrison Springs.

where is home? Morrison is close-ish to Marianna. Worth swinging out there and they'll let you try all of those lights in JB's cavern. It's an hour east of Morrison on I-10.

Tbone is correct about the 1k to 1200 lumen backup lights. There are lots of options out there as they are all made in China / Tiawan. You can buy just the light off of Amazon and get a better battery such as a Sanyo or Panasonic and save a few bucks.

If you want a bigger light I like the 4800 lumen Big Blue. List price on the Big Blue means very little. You should be able to buy one for around $350 by calling the shops who stock them. There was an older model that was 4500 lumen and you might pick it up cheaper.

Bigblue Dive Lights

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom