Help me to avoid Jamaica!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I looked into supplementing my 3/day diving with Sundivers by stepping next door to Hedo. I was told that they only allow one dive per day.

Here's a link to some photos I took on my last trip. It wasn't the best dive site but it was the only one I got to take photos at due to a catastrophic leak my camera housing suffered (yep, it was a borrowed camera to boot).

http://picasaweb.google.com/yelloduc/DivingPhotosJamaica

I'll let you guys know how Jamaica is doing in the diving aspect... We head there on Saturday the 12th... Yeah I know its not Belize, Roatan, or some other place, but there is so much going for Couples Swept Away... Its hard to pass up...Besides its AI... And the Mrs... said we are going...

Next vacation I get to pick...

In all seriousness, Everything meals, booze, airline tickets, room for 9 days, all dives (morning&afternoon) and equipment included, along with a list of other amenities $3100... Hard to pass that up...

In regards to diving at Hedonism II. If you are in on a day pass, scuba diving is not included, unless you have made some type of special arrangement. For guests staying over night the official rule says a dive a day. But in reality they will give you the second dive if their is room. When I book guests into any of the Jamaican all-inclusive resorts that include diving, I let the resort dive staff know ahead of time that this particular guest is coming for the diving so they are prepared and understand that they are looking for more than a dive a day.

We are having a drawing for a Hedonism Resort vacation at One Eyed Jack's Saloon at the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally on Saturday night, August 9. If you stop by our booth and say you read this here, I will give you a free Hedonism Resorts/Sturgis t-shirt (if there are any left).

ExoticBikers.com Complete Caribbean vacation packages
Hedonism All Inclusive Resorts offered by Scuba One Travel
Sucba One Travel - Negril Jamaica Underwater photos

How about Curacao? Good diving, a little more other stuff than Bonaire.

Had a great time when we went.

-- Walter

Have to agree, diving is IMHO better than Bonaire. Town is nicer too, some really great resturants.

A fair cop, Jamaica is over-fished and over-populated developing country, thus watershed and fisheries management (enforcement) are not so hot. Thus you won't see much for fish. Coral's not too hot either- similar to DR or Puerto Rico.
HOWEVER: The structure in MoBay is the best i've ever seen. Swim-throughs, caves, walls, buttresses etc. and the lack of big fish makes is a great place for maco-photographers.
There are fish and corals, but a resort shop will not take you to the good spots. You need to go with folk who will take you to those off-the-chart spots- who care about your experience, not just your safety and your tips. Research online. If you book a villa you can get a personal DM/Boat service for a group. Boutique hotels (not necessarily costly) can offer similar connections.

The reason you've got no fish is the reason the land-side is so entertaining. Pure culture, music, food, forests, birds, caves and madness. Great fun, very friendly, particularly once you leave the tourist centres. The papers report violence but it's in specific areas- the rest of the island is fine/safe (within reason). This is no different then Chicago or Vancouver. Thieves/naughty folk rarely target tourists, unlike Mexico or Puerto Rico. Go on-line and find interesting stuff to see (not the resort's packaged foolishness), take an adventure, rent a car, have fun.

Ask your Divemaster for local info. Great resource person.

A
PS: Cozumel and Honduras are both just 200 years behind Jamaica in their coastal mismanagement, but well on their way to catching up.

There's a reason you don't see Jamaica in the dive mags! I went 20-years ago-apparently nothings changed.
Cozumel was really good. I don't rate it great as Okinawa and Palawan (PI) blow it away. OTOH-people in Cozumel were great - more gringo friendly than my conservative Okinawan friends. Never met anyone local but the divemaster in Palawan and he was all business.

If you leave the tourist resort in Jamaica, you will be targeted automatically.

Yeah, but at least you won't live long enough to regret it... scary, scary country.

:m16: :blessing: :reaper:

My 2 psi: there are lots of great places in the Caribbean to combine diving and above water activity. You should probably let price be your guide. Cayman is great, but pricey. Dominican Republic is, to be honest, a bit weak on the diving front, but a fantastic place to holiday (dirt cheap, too). And then you have a pretty broad spectrum in between.

Jamaica Crime Risk Advisory for Tourists

Crime and Tourism - The Statistics:

It is often said by Jamaican government sources that Jamaica has one of the lowest crime rates for tourists in the Caribbean. This is arguable, but not entirely wrong. It is true that there are few reported crimes committed against tourists in Jamaica. However, the reasons for this are often obscured. The factors follow below.

Most visitors to Jamaica seldom leave the resorts, and when they do, it is in buses supplied by the resorts, with guides supplied by the resorts, with visits restricted to one of the few Jamaican "tourist attractions". These are usually Dunn's River Falls, Martha Brae River Rafting, Fern Gully, Green Grotto Caves, etc. Otherwise, few tourists take it upon themselves to hire a car and explore on their own (this kind of activity is discouraged by the resorts, with warnings of various possible dangers).

Many of the visitors to Jamaica who are included in the statistics are arriving on cruise ships (an ever increasing percentage of recorded tourist arrivals). They visit Jamaica for a few hours, and then return to the boat. The only parts of Montego Bay, Runaway Bay, etc, that they visit are tightly controlled by the police.

The few tourists who venture into the hills and valleys of the island are very experienced, and know what to be on guard against.

The reality is that there are few crimes committed against tourists in Jamaica because most of them never venture beyond the tourist compound, or Dunn's River Falls, or the craft-markets located close to where the boat is docked. Those few, thick-skinned, brave souls who do are very careful. There is an exception to this scenario - Negril.

Negril acquired a reputation several decades ago of being a very laid-back, peaceful part of the island. This was before the coast road was put in from Lucea, when it was relatively isolated. It has changed greatly since then. Nevertheless, for those who are after cocaine, ganja, or rent-a-dreads, this is the place to be. There are few actual "compounds" - the beach is public and most of the hotels front directly on it. Meeting or buying your entertainment of choice involves an easy walk of 50 metres from the buffet to a patio chair. Lots of tourists like it, and if that's your idea of a vacation, go for it. But don't expect it to be problem free - Negril has one of the highest rates of crimes against tourists in Jamaica, some of them violent [1], [2], [3]. Of course, there are many old-hands who have been visiting Negril for years and managed to survive, so if you keep your wits about you, it's entirely possible to have a good time.

At any rate, the crimes that most tourists are likely to be victims of are not violent in nature (although this does happen), but thefts. Of course, if you report this, it won't make it into the statistics anyway, so it won't alter what is claimed by the Ja government about crime against tourists.

Crime and Tourism - The Reality:

The threats to tourists in Jamaica follow in ascending order of importance:

Harassment: Outside of the resorts, regular harassment can be expected to varying degrees. If you are white, and driving around, expect to hear regular yells of "White man!", "White bwoy!", "Joe!", "Jakes!", etc, in most districts, whether urban or rural (this does not apply to Kingston and the corporate area, where the population is more mixed - it primarily applies to the western half of the island). Ignore all of this and keep on driving - you'll get used to hearing it eventually, and it will then be less irritating. When walking or bicycling (and we do not recommend this), things can be more intense. You will be approached by people who are very insistent that you stop and talk with them. If you do not, you will be accused of disrespecting them, and berated in an intimidating way. If you do stop, tremendous pressure will be put on you to give them something (money). You cannot win either way. Keep in mind that they are unlikely to chop you, so don't fear for your life, but it's not particularly enjoyable having to put up with that crap. Bottom-line: don't walk - drive.

Theft: In Jamaica, if it is not locked-up, or nailed-down, it is liable to be stolen. This does not just apply to tourists and their touristy things, but to farmers, shop-keepers, and environmental NGO's. It is a rare person, whether tourist or resident, who has not had something stolen in Jamaica (having your car broken into is a given, unless you, or an employee, keep a close eye on it). You must always be on guard for this. Even if you are very careful, the thieves will get to you eventually. When it does happen, don't blame yourself for having slipped-up - consider it as inevitable.

Road-blockages: Obstructing roads with debris, burning tyres, etc, has become a popular pastime in Jamaica over the last few years. This can happen for almost any reason, from an increase in electricity rates to a local case of food poisoning. It is unpredictable and liable to happen on any main road at any time. This would only be a matter of inconvenience if it were not for the riff-raff who take the opportunity to rob those whose cars have been brought to a halt by it. Although the resort bus drivers are careful to bypass the disturbances (they're keeping tabs on things with cellphones), it makes travel on the highways dicey for tourists and residents alike.

Stray bullets: Jamaica has many people running around with guns who have no problem using them. The murder rate in Jamaica is currently jockeying for top position with Colombia and South Africa, with Jamaica pulling ahead. In past years, the gunfire primarily occurred in Kingston and Spanish Town, but it's now spreading out. St James (Montego Bay parish) has seen increasing levels of violent crime (murder), as well as all other parishes. At this time, the chance that you will catch a stray bullet (meant for someone else) while standing on a main street in many of the tourist centres of Jamaica is not zero. Fortunately, there are fewer gunmen in the bush than in urban areas, so the further you get from town in Jamaica, the better.

Homophobia: If you are gay, don't even consider stepping foot on the island. Not only is it illegal to be homosexual in Jamaica, some Jamaicans believe that gays should be killed. The primary musical genre, Dancehall, is replete with songs that encourage this [4], [5], [6]. This belief is often acted upon, such as with the recent murder of Steve Harvey.

Rape: There are many single female visitors who come to Jamaica for sex, using the hired services of the many rent-a-dreads who congregate around the resort areas. Unfortunately, because of this, most single white women who come to the island are now regarded as being there only for that reason, and will be harassed accordingly. In Jamaica, "No means no" is not recognized amongst some segments of the male population and harassment can lead to worse things. If you are a single female, be very careful about whom you let become your friend, no matter how good the patter. [For those women who are hiring the male prostitutes, it must be noted that the island has a very high incidence of HIV, and as you already know, condoms are not popular in Jamaica.]

Murder: As noted above, Jamaica is one of the most murderous countries on the planet. Tourists are not generally exposed to this risk (much of it is tribal politics in Kingston), but it cannot be disregarded. To be clear on this: Your chance of being intentionally murdered while being a tourist in Jamaica is relatively low, but not as low as visiting Cuba, or Costa Rica, or a hundred other countries. If personal safety is the main concern with regard to your vacation, go somewhere else.

Crime and Tourism - What to do:

It's possible to visit Jamaica successfully, without being cooped-up in a resort, if you're an experienced traveller, have your wits about you, are cognizant of the risks, and can tolerate the harassment. However, if you're a generally naive sort of person, and head out into the hills alone expecting to travel through paradise, harsh cold reality may soon intervene. If you can handle it, no problem. If you're not sure, forget about it.

Those who don't entirely trust their own abilities to deal with the real Jamaica can still get off the beaten track by linking with the right people, such as Accompong Town, Miss Lilly in Coxheath, et al. We'll try to get more info and links up on that as soon as possible.

British female tourist shot dead in Jamaica

British tourist shot dead in Jamaica | Mail Online

--------------------

The Jamaica Observer reported that Hilliard told the Jamaica Chamber of Commerce that the percentage of revenue spent on security costs was too high for the country.
"It is inching towards doing business in Iraq," she said. "

Caribbean Net News: USAID says Jamaica's high crime rate affecting small businesses

----------------------
Jamaica’s murder rate: How bad does it have to get?

Jamaica's murder rate: How bad does it have to get? // The Feed // First Magazine®

The murder of Steve Harvey and others:
http://www.boycottjamaica.org/tag/steve-harvey/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom