help me with key west dive planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're headed to the lower Keys, then your best bet is the Looe Key Reef Marine Sanctuary. It's a shallow reef with lots of marine life ... one of the best in the entire Keys. It's an excellent beginner dive. There are a few operators north of Key West (Ramrod/Big Pine) that make daily trips. Good luck.

cleung:
I went with a dive company just off the Hilton hotel - forgot their name and I'm not at home right now. But they were good. Diving in the Key West area is okay but it gets better as you move further east (Marathon, Key Largo, etc.)

Southpoint Divers? Was the boat called the Phoenix?

Their shop is actually about a mile south on Duval street. They really pack that boat with >20 divers, but it's still pretty comfortable, and the captain and mate are first class.

And if you had back up the Keys, check out Brent (see two posts up) and Blue Water Divers!! Had a blast with them when I was down in January!

(Eat at the Fish House and Mrs. Mac's Kitchen!)

Edit: speaking of Brent, he actually took the picture that is my avatar!

Yummm, Mrs. Mac's chili and you MUST eat at Hobo's!

I just got back from a Key West weekend. Had a great topside adventure from what I remember, but didn't care for the dive. PLEASE at least drive just a few miles up to Looe Key...well worth it!

P.S. Eat at Blue Heaven in KW.

HappyFunBoater:
Southpoint Divers? Was the boat called the Phoenix?

Their shop is actually about a mile south on Duval street. They really pack that boat with >20 divers, but it's still pretty comfortable, and the captain and mate are first class.

Yes I think it was Southpoint divers and their dock is at the back of the Hilton. I liked them but again, better diving is east of Kew West.

I reccommend the conch chowder! OH BOY!!!! (I could use a bowl about now!)

DebbyDiver:
Yummm, Mrs. Mac's chili and you MUST eat at Hobo's!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom