Help!!! my daughter has lost her mind!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm still stuck on the University of Alabama thing, what not smart enough to get into Auburn? University of Al or Puerto Rico? I'd run to PR too.

War Eagle! This is the SEC football thread, right?

Good luck trying to talk to a girl in love... Smile... BIG smile.... :D Tell her good luck, and she my want to do a " LITTLE " reading up on what she's in for...

Don't give her one little reason to do it out of anger.. Because you didn't approve of it....

jim....

I don't think it's necessary for both of them to know how to dive, to run a dive shop. I think dive shops in general would be better off if they were run by business people who HIRED divers to work for them!

I don't know what field your daughter is studying, but there may or may not be jobs waiting at the end of the pipeline. And the other thing I would say is that one of my only major regrets, late in my life, is that I didn't chuck it all and do some adventuring when I was young and unencumbered and could have done it. There's no permanent damage from trying and failing . . . but failing to try is something you may not be able to remedy later. Your daugher may well discover that this is not a viable project, but as long as she uses some common sense about not getting into too much debt (or having kids) she should be able to abandon it later without taking too much of a hit. And who knows? Maybe she and the BF will turn out to run a first class dive business, and do just fine.

Interesting how most of the posts in here are let her do her own thing, when he started out asking for the truths on running a dive shop...

Interesting how most of the posts in here are let her do her own thing, when he started out asking for the truths on running a dive shop...
Whats insinuated by the whole introduction is that he wants the arguments to tell her not to do it..

The real truth about running a dive shop? Well, that truth is the same as for running any buisness isnt it? Its hard work to start it, not sure you'll succeed and you cant expect to break even for quite some time in the startup phase. Buying a shop may or may not be better economy depending on how the shop is doing already and why and not least what you have to pay for it.

Also, theres of course something that can be easilly missunderstood when someone says "dive shop". Some people immediately think of dive ops whos primary buisness is sending people out diving, by boat or otherwise and others think dive equipment retail stores and then you have the combination of the two...
The above applies to all, but the details is very different between a "sercive provider" and a "hardware provider" (and no, that does not imply that the salespeople should be grumpy asses with no clue about how to treat customers)

Calling Op, Calling OP, you still here? Interesting, only the one shout out by the OP followed by silence. I think this was more or a "Stir the pot" kind of thing. Possibly by a rouge spammer. If not, I will apologize. B.

Must be Fosters right? Six boats and downtown...

And they have the:
Cruise ship contracts in place

But the price is negotiable, the ad says. I figure you can easily get it for only $2,250,000.

If you have no money to start with, it shouldn't be a problem. It's only about twice what I earned in my lifetime.

I would appreciate some real world expectations of what running a diving business entails (all the details and work that it takes to run a successful diving business) the nitty gritty behind the scenes boring work that it takes to be successful etc.
I could have chosen the " rich " route, but I have spent the last 30 years running a dive business.

Would I rather have the millions $$$$$$ or have the experience of diving & adventure the last 30 years?

I'll take adventures of a life-time every year over all the $$$$$$.

Tell her to Go for It!

Back
Top Bottom