Help-need new o-rings.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

burna

Contributor
Reaction score
I really would like to replace all of the button, zoom, playback o-rings in my Canon housing but no one seems to either be able to supply them or even know what size they are.

My housing is the WP-DC900 for the Powershot A80.

I have a new main o-ring which I got from Canon Australia, but they claim they have no idea about the button o-rings. I asked what they did then when they "service" the housings and they couldn't answer that, so basically they just clean and lube the o-rings which anyone can do.

They did say that to replace those o-rings I'd need to buy a new part, so a whole new door as an assembly and since I want to replace all of them, it would mean a complete new housing!!

Seems extraordinary just to replace about $2 worth of o-rings!!!

I have tried measuring and matching them at an o-ring supplier but they couldn't do it accurately enough to inspire any confidence, I really need to know what the sizes are.

Someone somewhere must know this info. Can anyone help??

Thanks in advance.

I really would like to replace all of the button, zoom, playback o-rings in my Canon housing but no one seems to either be able to supply them or even know what size they are.

My housing is the WP-DC900 for the Powershot A80.

I have a new main o-ring which I got from Canon Australia, but they claim they have no idea about the button o-rings. I asked what they did then when they "service" the housings and they couldn't answer that, so basically they just clean and lube the o-rings which anyone can do.

They did say that to replace those o-rings I'd need to buy a new part, so a whole new door as an assembly and since I want to replace all of them, it would mean a complete new housing!!

Seems extraordinary just to replace about $2 worth of o-rings!!!

I have tried measuring and matching them at an o-ring supplier but they couldn't do it accurately enough to inspire any confidence, I really need to know what the sizes are.

Someone somewhere must know this info. Can anyone help??

Thanks in advance.

My guess is that the o-rings for the canon housings are standard metric size. You can measure the shaft they go on quite easily if you have a caliper, then go to Apple Rubber or someone like that and they will have a few choices of OD once you have the shaft diameter. A few microns in either direction won't matter much.
Bill

Yeah thanks, already done that. After an hours diving last week I got a drop inside, I think it came from the shutter button.

Same with me. Did you ever find anyone who would sell the o-rings?

Last edited:
I'm answering my own question. Maybe someone will find this useful in the future.

The little button o-rings (black in color) part number is CY1-6252-000. In Canada, they sell them for 77 cents.

Regarding custom replacement o-rings online, there are a lot of choices. One is the material - what are these camera housing o-rings typically made of? Silicone? Nitrile? Buna-N? Fluorosilicone? Unobtanium? :confused:

I believe they are going to be silicone o-rings, I have repaired several camera housings in the past but have never managed to get replacement parts. (I live on an island) Removing the buttons and pins, cleaning the o-rings and the pins especially - ultrasonic works well.

If everything is clean and lubricated there is not really that much potential for wear on these parts. Even the housings I have seen used everyday have tested well after just a clean and lube. If I could get the seals here I would definitely look into it though.

I believe they are going to be silicone o-rings, I have repaired several camera housings in the past but have never managed to get replacement parts. (I live on an island) Removing the buttons and pins, cleaning the o-rings and the pins especially - ultrasonic works well.

If everything is clean and lubricated there is not really that much potential for wear on these parts. Even the housings I have seen used everyday have tested well after just a clean and lube. If I could get the seals here I would definitely look into it though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom