Help Needed - DUI ZipSeal or SI-5?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nunomix

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi fellow divers,

I am going this weekend to order and have fitted my DUI TLS350 Explorer. DUI offers several seals / glove systems.

Because I am new in drysuit diving, I will not start using dry gloves for sure. In any case, I would like to have my drysuit prepared for it from the begining so that I do not have to take the suit back later to install it.

I am not sure which are the differences between the zip seals and the DUI SI-5 system.

Help and guidance would be highly appreciated. which one is better and what are the main differences?

Thank you in advance.

nunomix:
Hi fellow divers,

I am going this weekend to order and have fitted my DUI TLS350 Explorer. DUI offers several seals / glove systems.

Because I am new in drysuit diving, I will not start using dry gloves for sure. In any case, I would like to have my drysuit prepared for it from the begining so that I do not have to take the suit back later to install it.

I am not sure which are the differences between the zip seals and the DUI SI-5 system.

Help and guidance would be highly appreciated. which one is better and what are the main differences?

Thank you in advance.

I use just the factory installed ring that is a component of the SI-5 system I believe. It only costs $60 to have it installed if you get it at the time you order your suit. Once you have that installed all you have to do is buy any latex glove locally (mine cost $15) and you simply pull it over the ring and that creates the seal. The only way it will leak is if you puncture the glove while diving. You still have the latex wrist seal in place so all that gets wet is your hand. Get out and go buy another pair of $15 gloves.

The zipseal system attaches more or less in the same way sandwich bags seal. I don't know how much replacement gloves are but replacement wrist seals are $100 or so and the neck seal is even more. You put them on and leave them on the suit I believe so you can't really wait until the last minute to put gloves on for more finger dexterity since they are on once you put the suit on. If it tears you can replace it yourself. With the SI system you can replace the latex wrist seals yourself and they only cost $35. With the SI system you can't replace the neck seal yourself unless you know how to glue one on.

More people seem to have zipseals than the SI system I believe but most people don't even know about the other system and most dive shops don't seem to be aware of that option.

I'm sure you'll get other opinions on here.

Hi gcbryan,

Thanks for your thoughts. Indeed I was given different opinions about this. The SI-5 systems seems to be cheaper and gives the freedom to use gloves from any other brand. With regard to zipseals, you are stuck to the 160USD gloves everytime you have a problem with them.

The inconvenient that I was told with regard to the ring system is the bulkyness of the ring which makes you look like a "robot". I also read that ring system might not get very well positioned when installing it.

gcbryan:
I use just the factory installed ring that is a component of the SI-5 system I believe. It only costs $60 to have it installed if you get it at the time you order your suit. Once you have that installed all you have to do is buy any latex glove locally (mine cost $15) and you simply pull it over the ring and that creates the seal. The only way it will leak is if you puncture the glove while diving. You still have the latex wrist seal in place so all that gets wet is your hand. Get out and go buy another pair of $15 gloves.

The zipseal system attaches more or less in the same way sandwich bags seal. I don't know how much replacement gloves are but replacement wrist seals are $100 or so and the neck seal is even more. You put them on and leave them on the suit I believe so you can't really wait until the last minute to put gloves on for more finger dexterity since they are on once you put the suit on. If it tears you can replace it yourself. With the SI system you can replace the latex wrist seals yourself and they only cost $35. With the SI system you can't replace the neck seal yourself unless you know how to glue one on.

More people seem to have zipseals than the SI system I believe but most people don't even know about the other system and most dive shops don't seem to be aware of that option.

I'm sure you'll get other opinions on here.

I would also be interested in hearing more about these two systems from any DOGs out there, the SI-5 system is quite a bit cheaper installed and also allows field replacement of wrist seals/dry gloves, not to mention replacement latex seals are only $30!!!

sharkster,

Again, I am not a DOG, but have dived their suits. While very clever and handy, I did not care for the zipseal gloves as they need to be put on the suit before you don it. I like the idea of being able to don the suit and use my hands, then add gloves.

Also expense is an issue. With zipseals, you must use zipseal products. While this is fine for just the seals, I'm not sure the cost of the gloves and the wear they get is worth it.

Dennis

nunomix:
Hi gcbryan,

The SI-5 systems seems to be cheaper and gives the freedom to use gloves from any other brand. With regard to zipseals, you are stuck to the 160USD gloves everytime you have a problem with them..
If you do search on web you can find a much cheaper price for Zip-Seals and Zip-Gloves.I just installed zip rings on my DUI suit and got seals and gloves fro diverdiscount.com or something like that. I'm very accurate so I don't scare much about "open" sleave. On the other hand, it is very convinient to be able to change between seals and gloves in less than 5 min.

nunomix:
The inconvenient that I was told with regard to the ring system is the bulkyness of the ring which makes you look like a "robot". I also read that ring system might not get very well positioned when installing it.
All equipment may make you look like a robot but who cares. Positioning can be a little tricky, but you get use to it.

Besides added bulk (which, unless you're reaching into crevices doesn't seem to be a problem at all), does anyone know of any disadvantages whatsoever that the SI-5 has vs. the ZipSeals? As we all know ZipSeals/ZipGloves cost much much more, but is there that much added value?

I have a suit with the SI-5, that I just recently aquired.

I'm sorry, but the SI-5 to me is a major PITA to get the dry glove on. The zip seals seem much easier.

I can not imagine how or being able to install an SI-5 dry glove onto a drysuit AFTER it is donned. That I would like to hear more about!

It seems that you need to use some sort of silicone adhesive on the glove when you slip it on the wring, as the wring wants to reposition itself inside the rim of the glove making it MUCH more difficult than the instructions make it look.

I hope someone has a easy way of installing the SI-5 other than just going by the instructions. I once again have found the SI-5 a PITA. Perhaps once I have done it a few times it will seem easier.....?

Me, I went for the Viking Bayonet System with my DUI dry suit. It was pretty easy to have that glove system put on, and you can still wear the suit with or without gloves, as the wrist seals stay intact. These work similar to the SI-5.

-Matt-

Matt the Wonder Boy:
Me, I went for the Viking Bayonet System with my DUI dry suit. It was pretty easy to have that glove system put on, and you can still wear the suit with or without gloves, as the wrist seals stay intact. These work similar to the SI-5.

-Matt-
We also got a lot of the Coast Guard in the shop asking for the Viking Bayonet System to be put on their DUI's........... works well!! Its a lot less cheaper.........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom