Help needed!!!! Kona advanced or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The 3 tank dive is great, more intimate and shouldn't be a problem even for a freshly certified advanced diver. Jack's is great, I'd even suggest the manta specialty course if you're interested in learning about some of the most amazing animals in our oceans.

they have a specialty class based on diving?? hahah that's legitttt

They do have an advanced dive that day so it is definitely an option.
As you know, the 2 and 3 tanks advanced dives are two different animals. The 3 tank is (when I was on them) a much longer range trip.
And also, with sooo many divers each day at certain dive sites that ordinary open water certs can go to, wouldn't the marine life go away or the coral die?
There are so many Kona dive sites, it is rare to pull up to one and find another boat tied up. Other than the Manta dive, don't believe moorings are ever shared same time. Just too big a place. Some of the most abundant and varied critters I have seen are on the plain old 2-tank dives. Have been on advanced dives too where there was not much to see. No such thing as an over-visited site I have ever heard of. Operators can tell you more, they certainly go to places more often.

The whole island is very young. Much of the bottom may look like dead coral, but is just lava rubble that has not had a chance for coral to get started. No barrier reef like older islands, it just drops off into the abyss.
I know I'm relatively inexperienced but I can't imagine those that only dive once a year....
Believe it. Nothing like watching the ping pong ascent-descent from that group as they try and figure out what weight they used 3 years age, or get smacked in the head with the tank of one thrashing around in a lava tube. You'll be amazed how much easier it is without drastic buoyancy changes, and less than half the lead.

And DON'T pass up the night manta dive.

Well worth it.

I am just finishing my 3 week vaca here in Kona I do alot of shore diving here in on the Big Island. But Jacks is a very good out fit. I did the Manta dive last night with Kona Honu Divers it was an exceptional dive. We had seven Manta's in for 45 minutes. Vis was perfect surge almost nil. You will have a great time on the Big Island. While here, take your family to Kua Beach Park. Its just a few miles north of the airport across from the veterens cemetary. I normally come to Kona every year and do alot of shore diving because I don't like the cattle boat lowest denominator thing. They will tell you there is not much shore diving or its not safe on the west side of Big Island. Look at shorediving.com.

There are many fine dive establishments here, Jack's does a good job and one of the better Manta briefings.

I have to agree with the other poster that you do not need to do a 3 tank advanced to experience diving at its best. Other operators do three tank local dives if that is what your looking for. The local dives offer depth and a variety of topography. All in all I would suggest using a company that dives 80's and allows bottom times in excess of 60-70 minutes(Not all operations are receptive to this practice.) Because really...it's about bottom time, so a reef dive to a max of 50 feet will allow you to experience more, than a deep dive for 20 minutes.

The other decision is a six-pack boat vice a cattle boat, both have their pro's and con's
such as a more personal experience on a six pack, but more comfort features on a bigger boat.

All in all, you can always try different operators to see which one fits your style of diving the best. a couple I like are Dive Makai(but no longer in business):( , Wanna Dive Kona, and Kona Diving Company.

Good luck, have a great time here.

Also Splashers Grill on Ali'i has great burgers!

Brian

As far as advanced goes, its up to you, there are operators that offer 2-3 tank advanced dives some even long range. If thats what you want you will have to look them up on line or when you get there, It sometimes takes some doing for them to put together a boat full of truly advanced divers. I have only used one that I can't really recommend, but I do like diving with because he lets people do their own thing without restrictions. As for the Manta Dive, open water c-card is all thats required.

And I'll have Second BrianKon on Splasher's they have a Great Menu at a value price and this includes breakfast too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom