Help needed, tank/valve issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MattBPW

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi folks, hoping I'm just being a bit thick here but I have a question.
I recently purchased a Catalina S40 for use as a slung pony bottle.
First stamped in 2013 and then left in a LDS till they closed down recently. So I picked it up as being in "As new" condition, never dived and to be fair it does look brand spanking new.
Anyway, I get it, the shop does a test, re-stamps it for me, fills it and I'm out the door a happy man.
BUT when I get home I connect me current and confirmed as working reg set (Hog D3 first stage) and I'm getting audible air hiss.
It's a yoke valve with DIN insert so I'm just wondering what people think could be the cause?
I've not yet tried replacing O rings.
Thanks in advance.

All that others stated and/or connect another reg to rule out your reg...

Many thanks folks, don't currently have a second set of regs to test the tank with but I have tried my regs on another tank so I've ruled those out in a reverse kind of way.
I made sure the insert was fully nipped up so it wasn't that.
So now I've pulled the insert and will be changing both rings and hopefully that'll do it.

I hate to say this but i have seen some Dive Shop Techs that are dumb as rocks and take a big wrench and put it right across the face of the yoke portion of the valve to remove and replace it. I still have one that shows the mashed up metal but its not a convertable valve like yours. Hopefully its not the case here...

On the way back home now, as hoped, they pulled both O rings from the din insert for me and replaced them free of charge. The inner one was fairly flat and the outer pretty cracked.
Feeling confident.

Done, fixed, confirmed after replacing the rings free of charge she's back in diving order. Thanks for the advice folks, much appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom