Help needed understanding business model

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shoredivr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
1 Right now the Canadian dollar is quite strong relative to other currencies, such as the US dollar, and overall tourism into Ontario was down last year.

2 Scubaboard is an international diving board, with lots of exposure for diving regions around the world.

3 Recently, a wreck has been rediscovered in Ontario, near Kingston, and the co-ordinates were published for all to use after it had been buoyed. Today I see another wreck has been buoyed as well. Excellent!

4 New wrecks, whether rediscovered or not, are exciting and potentially good for business in any area.

5 The posting of the first rediscovered wreck generated posts with much animosity between local business operations and some of their supporters. This spills into other threads, and frankly is getting really old.

Given points 1 and 2, I'm completely at a loss to understand the need for point 5 in this scenario.

Fortunately, I live in Ontario, have been diving here for ten years and know that the wreck diving here is wonderful.

However, if I didn't know this, didn't live here, and only read the recent popcorn festival going on in this forum, I'd be keeping my foot on the accelerator on the 401, bypassing Kingston in favour of Brockville or Picton, where there seems little animosity (at least posted on this board).

So, those who are intent on getting the last grudge post in, please explain how point 5 helps the Kingston dive business model.

I sure can't see it.

When someone does something that puts his head over the rest someone has to take a shot at them. Human nature basically and in the dive business when others aint a divin' they are a squacking in Kingston.

But good news yet again the GLUE dive club supported by Seaducer and a club from Belleville tonight went to another long forgotten wreck the William Johnston and moored it for all to use. I believe NTD will be releasing the numbers for this one as well for all to enjoy.

There is difference of opinion and Kingston is drying up because of scabbles. POW for instance was started to have no comercial interest on the board so that means no shop owners and charter opertators but with people leaving and moving to different stuff the expertise of indivinduals was called upon. Some poeple agreed with this some did not and it appears that people just do not let things go. Talk of any new wreck is great and getting people to dive here is awesome but no one seems willing to say blank page and lets start over. It was really bad when the HMCS Gatineau was to be sunk here too. I think what would be nice is maybe something like Tobermory where it was managed by one entity. The city should do it in my opinion or province thus removing the variable of local personalities. I do not think it would be a bad idea. That would allow people to volenteer for projects and dive rather then fighting between themselves. When it comes down to I look and the difference between the two cities and it is very humbling to see what Kingston is and how well other places market themselves. Kingston has great wrecks no one is denying that the best part of diving in Kingston is the people and the worst part is the people. If every person who has an interest in diving would come together and chart a path leaving scabbles behind them and treat them with a little common respect wow Kingston would rival any place for diving I would believe.

However, if I didn't know this, didn't live here, and only read the recent popcorn festival going on in this forum, I'd be keeping my foot on the accelerator on the 401, bypassing Kingston in favour of Brockville or Picton, where there seems little animosity (at least posted on this board).

So, those who are intent on getting the last grudge post in, please explain how point 5 helps the Kingston dive business model.

I sure can't see it.

I seriously doubt it has any effect on business at all. But it does provide a constant amount of amusement on the forum.

No I do 95% of diving in Kingston. I think that it has a big impact on diving here the ramifications are huge.

But good news yet again the GLUE dive club supported by Seaducer and a club from Belleville tonight went to another long forgotten wreck the William Johnston and moored it for all to use. I believe NTD will be releasing the numbers for this one as well for all to enjoy.

Numbers are N44'07.490 W76'33.480

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom