Help needed with this tanks markings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm gonna take issue - that tank was not made by Catalina.

It is a Cliff Impact Divison tank: it was shoulder stamped "CLIFFDIV" (visible in pics #1,3,4) - which was not part of Catalina in '92 - in fairness, Catalina subsequently bought Cliff from Parker Hannifin in 1997.

The "CL" is T.H. Cochrane Labs, the independent testing facility contracted to originally test the tanks. Cochrane did testing for other manufacturers as well and was not exclusive to Catalina. "CL" is not a CataLina manufacturer's mark.

All manufacturers of DOT tanks will mark their tanks. Every Catalina tank I've seen shows their mark on ALL of their tanks with "CATALINA" and/or their registered "M" (manufacturer) number M-4002. Just looked - It is so on all of my Catalina ponies: AL6 (M4002), AL13 (M4002 and "CATALINA"), AL17 (M4002 and "CATALINA"), AL19 (M4002 and "CATALINA"), AL30 (M4002 and "CATALINA"), and AL40 (M4002 and "CATALINA").
Its not specific but Luxfer never used Cochrane and they have their own little hat symbol anyway

You have better eyes than me to see through that paint. Now that I squint I realize the paint filled Cliff and you're right

UPDATE: Pony passed hydro. Not bad alloy. 😇

Now have it jury rigged to my LP steel 95 for my 3-day end of season lobster 🦞 dive next week!

DdSmaz.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom