help,New equipment delema?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should definately wait a while before making any purchase besides mask, fins, & snorkel. Like many divers, I wanted my own equipment and bought quickly on the recommendation of friends and the dive shop I got certified at. Within a year I had different fins, a different dive computer, and a different tank. Within two years the reg and BC were upgraded as well...with the wasted $$ eating up any differential in price between the LDS and on-lien prices!

Once you know what you want, then definately do the research on-line to get a sense of a "fair" price. Keep in mind that no on-line shop can help you with getting a proper fit, assembling gear once you get it, dealing with warranty issues for you, etc. At most I'd only buy on-line things that are relatively low tech without much complexity or 'fit' issues ... fins, tanks, etc.

There are very real risks, however, to getting the lowest price on-line that you need to be aware of. I bought an expensive dive light and battery pack from LeisurePro, for example. The light leaked on the first dive, the batteries leaked acid and ruined the very expensive light. The manufacturer's didn't warranty anything bought from LeisurePro....in the end they were kind enough to sell me another at their cost, but I had to 'eat crow' at my LDS first. I've seen people buy "standard" BC's , tanks, and regs on-line for great prices ... but then find out that they were from another country, with different specifications on connections, etc. Some of the stuff sold as "new" on-line is actually defective equipment that is repaired and re-sold ... I saw a guy with a 'new' BC the same brand as mine that leaked terribly on the first dive. Because he bought it on-line the manufacturer refused to warranty it, and he was out of luck.

At the end of the day the issue is whether you want to support your local dive shop. My answer is yes ... no on-line shop gives me free air, gives me real-time tips to improve my diving, helps me configure my gear, and I want the LDS to be rewarded for that. Do they charge a premium? Certainly....my sense is that a 20% to 30% premium is 'fair.' If a legitimate dive shop has a lower price, tell them about it and ask if they'll meet it (often they will). Many will order in equipment for you that they don't normally carry.

If you are definately interested in Oceanic's gear then it will benefit you to buy it from your LDS due to the fact that you get your parts for your annual servicing for free for the life of your equipment through Oceanic, its called the alliance program I think, all you have to pay is the labor. If you buy Oceanic, Sea Quest, Cressi, Atomics and several others online you DO NOT get a manufacturers warranty. Check out the manufacturers website's or call them and ask them they will be glad to tell you if they will cover it or not.

There are only two LDS's in Toledo that I know of. Which one are you dealing with? I'd bet on Aqua Hut, due to the Oceanic gear you are looking at. Service and warranty issues aside, price can be an overwelming factor when you are new to the sport and because the brands and equipment pieces are new to you, you may not know what questions to ask or what features to compare. First consideration: what type of enviroment are you palnning on diving (cold water, want to dive deep, tropical only, etc.) You will have better equipt. in the long run if you buy for cold water but it will cost more in the long run. If you are dealing with Aqua Hut, consider that the student gear is sold twice a year. While none of the pieces are top models respectively, for $600-700 you would get a complete set of gear (jacket style BC, regulator with an octo and twin set of gages) and they will include the free use of a wet suit and free use of a tank with free air for at least the first year. Also, purchase that gear set and they will refund the cost of your OW training. Lastly, they are usually willing to negotiate somewhat to match a price from Leisure Pro. I have purchased some item at less than LP prices. Recently, a friend of mine bought a new tank and we used an inventory reduction sale price from Abysmal as the base line. Aqua Hut wouldn't match the price but they thru in FREE air for the life of the tank. Remember that everything is negotible but you have to ask.

In addition to seconding many of the posts here, a little more wisdom from a newbie who just went through this exercise...

Shop around, and get quotes on package deals - a LDS will cut you a much better deal when they don't have to make all their profit on the single item you're buying from them.

I bought most of my gear while taking the class, although mostly against the advice of the LDS - what they had to sell wasn't what I wanted. I talked to several friends who had been diving for many years including tech instructors since going in I already know that's where I'm eventually headed.

Did even more online research (rodales.com is a great resource) and found that once one passes the $250-350 point (at least in terms of regulators) there are pretty much no bad ones to be had - only varying degrees of good.

Anyhoo - after doing the research I started talking to shops around the state and found one that (on the package I wanted (bc/regs)) actually beat the online prices and threw in a couple of years of labor on the annuals besides the factory free parts.

Not mentioning brands or shop names here 'cause this is not a religious discussion - many folks including myself are fanatical 'bout the stuff they own and I don't wanna get into it. Just do your homework and enjoy the results of successful scrounging in good health!

Tom

Thank you all so very much for the advice and support! I decided to go with the dive shop. Sience this is my first set of stuff ever I feel more comfie going with them too. after talking with the owner and getting online with him, he showed me that the quality I was going to get and the price I am going to get are apples for apples in his shop compared to the same stuff on the net.

If I had half of a brain right now about the equipment and what all of the stuff means eg... advanced first stage, overbalanced etc.... I am shure I will learn all of this in time and beable to build somthing (and hopfully service it too) :wink:

Thanks guys, will keep you all updated.
anybody looking for a dive buddy in the toledo ohio area?

tnx
:eyebrow:

MyDiveLog:
You should definately wait a while before making any purchase besides mask, fins, & snorkel. Like many divers, I wanted my own equipment and bought quickly on the recommendation of friends and the dive shop I got certified at. Within a year I had different fins, a different dive computer, and a different tank. Within two years the reg and BC were upgraded as well...with the wasted $$ eating up any differential in price between the LDS and on-lien prices!

Once you know what you want, then definately do the research on-line to get a sense of a "fair" price. Keep in mind that no on-line shop can help you with getting a proper fit, assembling gear once you get it, dealing with warranty issues for you, etc. At most I'd only buy on-line things that are relatively low tech without much complexity or 'fit' issues ... fins, tanks, etc.

There are very real risks, however, to getting the lowest price on-line that you need to be aware of. I bought an expensive dive light and battery pack from LeisurePro, for example. The light leaked on the first dive, the batteries leaked acid and ruined the very expensive light. The manufacturer's didn't warranty anything bought from LeisurePro....in the end they were kind enough to sell me another at their cost, but I had to 'eat crow' at my LDS first. I've seen people buy "standard" BC's , tanks, and regs on-line for great prices ... but then find out that they were from another country, with different specifications on connections, etc. Some of the stuff sold as "new" on-line is actually defective equipment that is repaired and re-sold ... I saw a guy with a 'new' BC the same brand as mine that leaked terribly on the first dive. Because he bought it on-line the manufacturer refused to warranty it, and he was out of luck.

At the end of the day the issue is whether you want to support your local dive shop. My answer is yes ... no on-line shop gives me free air, gives me real-time tips to improve my diving, helps me configure my gear, and I want the LDS to be rewarded for that. Do they charge a premium? Certainly....my sense is that a 20% to 30% premium is 'fair.' If a legitimate dive shop has a lower price, tell them about it and ask if they'll meet it (often they will). Many will order in equipment for you that they don't normally carry.

Very nicley said! I am following that advice, and figured the perks from the shop as you had mentioned are far better than saving a silly 100.00
thanks so much

yknot:
There are only two LDS's in Toledo that I know of. Which one are you dealing with? I'd bet on Aqua Hut, due to the Oceanic gear you are looking at. Service and warranty issues aside, price can be an overwelming factor when you are new to the sport and because the brands and equipment pieces are new to you, you may not know what questions to ask or what features to compare. First consideration: what type of enviroment are you palnning on diving (cold water, want to dive deep, tropical only, etc.) You will have better equipt. in the long run if you buy for cold water but it will cost more in the long run. If you are dealing with Aqua Hut, consider that the student gear is sold twice a year. While none of the pieces are top models respectively, for $600-700 you would get a complete set of gear (jacket style BC, regulator with an octo and twin set of gages) and they will include the free use of a wet suit and free use of a tank with free air for at least the first year. Also, purchase that gear set and they will refund the cost of your OW training. Lastly, they are usually willing to negotiate somewhat to match a price from Leisure Pro. I have purchased some item at less than LP prices. Recently, a friend of mine bought a new tank and we used an inventory reduction sale price from Abysmal as the base line. Aqua Hut wouldn't match the price but they thru in FREE air for the life of the tank. Remember that everything is negotible but you have to ask.

Yep youre right, I am dealing with Aqua Hut, I did talk with the owner Jeff, he told me about the web buying and such... I figure the perks with buying with them are better than the net.

thanks a lot, talk to ya soon :wink:

DMDC01:
If you are definately interested in Oceanic's gear then it will benefit you to buy it from your LDS due to the fact that you get your parts for your annual servicing for free for the life of your equipment through Oceanic, its called the alliance program I think, all you have to pay is the labor. If you buy Oceanic, Sea Quest, Cressi, Atomics and several others online you DO NOT get a manufacturers warranty. Check out the manufacturers website's or call them and ask them they will be glad to tell you if they will cover it or not.

NOT TRUE !!! Look on their website, Oceanic only gives a 2 year waranty on regs and BC's. Not worth the price difference from the LDS. If you care for the regs no expensive parts should need to be replaced in 2 years.

I would get the basics, get your cert and rent for a while. You will get a good feel for the type of diving you want to do and then select you equipment. This stuff is exspensive, so get the right stuff the first time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom