Question First Regulator Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You'd have to answer a few questions IMO. Is the cost a burden to your budget? How often do you dive? Does the stock mouthpiece ever bother you/is it comfortable? Do you plan on diving for many many years?

If cost is a factor, the one you have chosen is a great solution. So many regs are manufactured by just a few companies nowadays. Two different brands can have virtually identical guts.

If you dive a lot, then you should absolutely buy your own. Adding up rental costs will let you know where the break point is.

With your own reg, you can install a form fitted mouthpiece. I did this many years ago and it made diving much more enjoyable.

If this is a sport you plan on staying with, get your own. If it's a passing fad for you, just rent.
1. In the long term, not really but obviously I want to save money where I can.
2. Mostly a vacation diver (think 3-4 dive trips per year, 2-3 days diving each time) and MAYBE I'll try diving local once a monthish.
3. I'm not really sure on this one. I guess my jaw has been a little sore sometimes.
4. As of right now, yes I plan on diving for years to come.

What is the other regulator you were considering? Honestly, there is little reason to spend a ton on a first regulator. My primary reg is top of the line from a well established manufacturer, and still not twice the price you mentioned for the DGX. They'll last a good long time with some care. My daughter dives one from the same brand that is around 20 years old.

As mentioned, consider service. If you aren't planning on servicing yourself, then you may want to consider a brand that your LDS services.
I was going to consult my LDS but probably something like a ScubaPro Mk2 Evo/R195 primary/R095 octo and a SPG which comes out to a little more than $800 but I'm not sure if I would need to buy hoses or not too.

I was going to consult my LDS but probably something like a ScubaPro Mk2 Evo/R195 primary/R095 octo and a SPG which comes out to a little more than $800 but I'm not sure if I would need to buy hoses or not too.
Why not get something used on here for 1/2 that (or even 1/3 of that?). Your LDS is in it to make money (which is fine), guys on here it's a side gig. They make a little but you save a lot.

I have never paid more than $450 for an entire set of really nice regs, usually much less, and all my regs are currently working.

Someone on here is getting ready to put a nice set out with your name all over it. I'd buy anything used from @Tracy in a heartbeat. He always has some good deal going on.

Get an ip gauge, test them every once in a while and make sure you soak them after salt water. It'll be years before you need a service.

Why not get something used on here for 1/2 that (or even 1/3 of that?). Your LDS is in it to make money (which is fine), guys on here it's a side gig. They make a little but you save a lot.

I have never paid more than $450 for an entire set of really nice regs, usually much less, and all my regs are currently working.

Someone on here is getting ready to put a nice set out with your name all over it. I'd buy anything used from @Tracy in a heartbeat. He always has some good deal going on.

Get an ip gauge, test them every once in a while and make sure you soak them after salt water. It'll be years before you need a service.

I do keep an eye on the classifieds section but I'm not really sure what to look for in regs since I've never shopped for them before. I've bought wetsuits from people on here though.

Several questions for you:

1. How much are you typically paying to rent? I've owned my own regs for 39 years, including one first stage and a gauge set that still work. The vast majority of my diving is cold water. Even so, when I've wanted to travel light and only planned on doing a couple dives I'd just rent. These days I carry my own mostly so that everything is where I want it and I'm comfortable with it.

2. Are you REALLY going to dive once a month or so at home? If so, I think buying is likely the better option than renting.

3. On the setup, if you're comfortable servicing it yourself, including when on vacation, it'll be fine . If not, I tend to be a fan of having a model your local dive shop and most shops world-wide can service for you. Because I dive with a US academic institution and I'm an instructor, the liability issues are such that I want to shift liability of servicing it to a shop.

Several questions for you:

1. How much are you typically paying to rent? I've owned my own regs for 39 years, including one first stage and a gauge set that still work. The vast majority of my diving is cold water. Even so, when I've wanted to travel light and only planned on doing a couple dives I'd just rent. These days I carry my own mostly so that everything is where I want it and I'm comfortable with it.

2. Are you REALLY going to dive once a month or so at home? If so, I think buying is likely the better option than renting.

3. On the setup, if you're comfortable servicing it yourself, including when on vacation, it'll be fine . If not, I tend to be a fan of having a model your local dive shop and most shops world-wide can service for you. Because I dive with a US academic institution and I'm an instructor, the liability issues are such that I want to shift liability of servicing it to a shop.
1. Most expensive I've seen is $30/day from a Hawaii diveshop. Average looks to be around $20/day most places. I did some napkin math and assuming it costs $200 for bi-annual servicing, I would need to dive at least 5 days per year just to breakeven on the servicing cost. Every other day would slowly pay down the principle but it would probably take a long time if I don't dive at home.

2. There's a local community that invites me out to the lake to dive but it's still a hour drive and I need to pay for scuba park admission and rent a tank and weights which probably runs about $50 altogether but that's unrelated to the cost of regs. I would like to be able to practice skills in open water at least some times instead of the pool but still not sure if the economics make sense.

3. I would probably not be servicing my own gear. I'm mostly just a vacation diver that wants to be good enough to dive where I want and to get there I would need to dive more often.

I do keep an eye on the classifieds section but I'm not really sure what to look for in regs since I've never shopped for them before. I've bought wetsuits from people on here though.
I can't stress enough how when you tell Tracy what type of diving your doing he'll hook you right up with what you need without overselling anything. He probably has 50 of everything you'll ever want in that basement of his:)

And there's a few other guys on here that are more than happy to point you in the right direction.

I tell anyone as long as it's a modern reg, (I prefer sealed diaphragm) that swivels with a 5th port on the bottom you can do whatever you want with it. You could get away without the swivel and without the 5th port but with them it's a higher resale value and it'll grow into whatever diving you want to get into.

At the very least whatever you choose get an ip gauge ($15 or whatever, plugs into your lpi), learn how to use it (youtube). Check the ip periodically and only service when that's out of spec. Much more cost efficient than blindly servicing every X years or whatever.

I can't stress enough how when you tell Tracy what type of diving your doing he'll hook you right up with what you need without overselling anything. He probably has 50 of everything you'll ever want in that basement of his:)

And there's a few other guys on here that are more than happy to point you in the right direction.

I tell anyone as long as it's a modern reg, (I prefer sealed diaphragm) that swivels with a 5th port on the bottom you can do whatever you want with it. You could get away without the swivel and without the 5th port but with them it's a higher resale value and it'll grow into whatever diving you want to get into.

At the very least whatever you choose get an ip gauge ($15 or whatever, plugs into your lpi), learn how to use it (youtube). Check the ip periodically and only service when that's out of spec. Much more cost efficient than blindly servicing every X years or whatever.
Thanks for the info. One question: who is Tracy? I'm pretty new here and to diving in general.

I did a good bit of research before I bought scuba gear for my son and I, and we ended up ordering this package over 5 years ago: Buy Scuba Gear Value System Package at Low Price | Divers Supply - this is a great economical option that is cheaper than many used sets (especially when you add $$ to have used gear serviced/inspected by a dive shop). Sea Elite is just Divers Supply's store brand on Edge/HOG gear, which is good gear. So, any Edge/HOG dealer can service them, though Divers Supply makes it easy and quick to send in for service (they'll send you a UPS lable), and for Sea Elite gear Divers Supply will provide any parts necessary during maintenance for free.

Check out the other reviews on there also. We did 2 upgrades from their options: (1) we upgraded the Regulator to the Covert regulator - which is balanced, so it can breathe a bit easier at depth (deepest I've had it so far is 122 feet); (2) we went with the 3 gauge SPG - which adds a compass to your gauge console, so you always have one with you.

Extra tip: If you create a Divers Supply account and then put the package in your shopping cart, and then leave without buying it -- they will usually send a coupon to you in a day or so.

Thanks for the info. One question: who is Tracy? I'm pretty new here and to diving in general.
He's just one of a few good dudes on the board that's in the states (so local-ish to you) that has very fair prices. He's not the only only one by any means, but he always seems to have a large selection.

Meet @Tracy:)

1715283092427.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom