Question First Regulator Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do keep an eye on the classifieds section but I'm not really sure what to look for in regs since I've never shopped for them before. I've bought wetsuits from people on here though.
I wrote an article a while back just for you. Go over this and you will understand the options much better.

He's just one of a few good dudes on the board that's in the states (so local-ish to you) that has very fair prices. He's not the only only one by any means, but he always seems to have a large selection.

Meet @Tracy:)

View attachment 840473
Wow, Thanks for the shoutout sir. Glad you included the picture.

He isn't wrong, I have a few extra pieces of dive gear around. Let me know what kind of diving you are doing and there is a good chance I might have something that would fit the bill for you.

I wrote an article a while back just for you. Go over this and you will understand the options much better.

Thanks a lot for this. It was an incredible read and I will probably refer back to this and recommend every new friend I can convince to try diving.

Thanks a lot for this. It was an incredible read and I will probably refer back to this and recommend every new friend I can convince to try diving.
I am happy you found it useful!

I was going to consult my LDS but probably something like a ScubaPro Mk2 Evo/R195 primary/R095 octo and a SPG which comes out to a little more than $800 but I'm not sure if I would need to buy hoses or not too.
Hoses would be included. You should only need to buy them if you want to change lengths, but not a big deal.

I do agree that $800 for a SP MK2 Eco/R195 and R095 octo and SPG is a bit much. Especially considering what it is. I could spend a little more and get a top of the line balanced and environmentally sealed reg from another manufacturer. SP stuff tends to cost more. Not saying it's not good gear, but you can often find better prices from other manufacturers.

If those are your choices, I would definitely lean toward the DGX D6 option. Provided you are good with the possibility that you may need to send it off for service.

Hoses would be included. You should only need to buy them if you want to change lengths, but not a big deal.

I do agree that $800 for a SP MK2 Eco/R195 and R095 octo and SPG is a bit much. Especially considering what it is. I could spend a little more and get a top of the line balanced and environmentally sealed reg from another manufacturer. SP stuff tends to cost more. Not saying it's not good gear, but you can often find better prices from other manufacturers.

I'd consider any of the Zeagle regulators. Top notch and very competitive price.

Personally, I'd go used, choosing a brand, like SP, that your LDS can service. A Mk2 is utterly reliable and with only one moving part [piston] can go for years and years of trouble free service. R195 is a proven second stage, in fact the Mk2 Evo / R195 is probably the rental regulator of choice at most dive shops that feature the Scubapro brand. Translated: High praise indeed.

My 2 bubbles, own your own regulator if you travel to warm water resorts a lot, if you have ever seen the way some places 'rinse' the rental regulators, and I use the word rinse resevably , it's a quick dunk, a few Hail Mary's and may get around to doing it properly in the future, done. I take my own and clean it myself back at the accommodation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom