Help on Liveaboards out of Cairns, Au.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geojo01

Reaction score
I'm going to Carins, Australia. I've looked at two liveaboards. MV Kangaroo and Ocean Quest. Any help as to the best one to book. Living accommodation and Dive sites?

Dh and I went on Mike Ball out of Cairns. We loved loved loved it! It was a last minute thing so we had the only room available which was the cheapest and saying it was small is an understatement. But, we were only in there to sleep. HTH!

i'll be DMing on mike ball on the trips starting the 12 and 19th april hope to see some ppl there

There are two classes of liveaboards out of Cairns: the ones that hang out on the reefs near Cairns, and the ones that travel out of Cairns but go farther north.

On the ones that hang out near Cairns (such as the OceanQuest), you have the advantage that you can do any number of nights, starting on any day. What happens is that you go out on a day boat but make a transfer to the OceanQuest midday; reverse that for going back to Cairns. The diving is good but when you go with the day boat crowd there will be a horde of snorkelers around the boat.

The boats that go farther out (like Mike Ball) are just for divers only, and bring you to a richer variety of more pristine sites. The downside is that they leave just on certain days and there's no flexibility on how many days you stay.

I've done both the older boat used as the OceanQuest, and Mike Ball. I loved both. I'd pick Mike Ball or one of the other northern reef boats if it fits within your budget and schedule.

I used Dive Cairns (www.divecairns.com.au) for my second trip and they were helpful in listening to what my interests, and schedule and budget thoughts were, and then suggesting the best fits among the various Cairns dive options.

I met Mike Ball a couple of weeks ago and talked about his live aboard for about 2 hours. He was quite a character and struck me as someone I would love to go diving with. His trips go North of Cairns which tend to be less visited. A DM at my LDS is going in mid May...I can give you his opinion when he gets back if it fits your timetable.

I've done trips with both mike ball, and kangaroo explorer (cairns dive centre). Totally different trips!

Mike ball was about three times the price, but substantially better dive sites, and better food.
Kangaroo explorer was a much younger croud, mainly young backpackers. I actually preferred kangaroo explorer, because I was 22 when I did that.

Horses for courses though - do you want a bit more luxury, with more focus on teh diving itself with a demographic of mainly US, japanese and euro 35-60 year olds, or do you want more of a party type atmosphere, with the 20-25 year bracket backpackers?

Horses for courses, both are good at what they do, but totally different trips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom