HELP! Plaza Resort Bonaire Gets Mixed Reviews

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apparently, the idea of Europeans puffing away like a smokestack is a misconception, with much of western europe smoking less per capita than the US:

List of countries by cigarette consumption per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You might not see as much of it going on in coastal states, but it is prevalent in Kentucky, West Virginia, Oklahoma and Mississippi...the same states that has the highest rates of beer bellied bubbahs.
I was surprised to see Switzerland ranked above the U.S. Italy's ranking above the U.S. came as no surprise. Everyone smokes in Italy. Apparently they do in Spain too from your link, but I've never been there to compare. As for the Dutch, I've only been in Amsterdam. There are bar/restaurants called brown cafes:

"The term "brown" comes from the dark wood and stained walls that supposedly owe their hue to years of smoking patrons." Amsterdam Brown Cafés - Definition and Examples of Brown Cafés in Amsterdam

When we ate in one, at communal tables, the waitress served diners in between puffs of her cigarette she perpetually had burning at the bar. Some in the U.S. might find that unhygienic, but I like a smoky flavor with my food.

Anyway, I can't believe your link is correct. For instance, it ranks Indonesia well below the U.S. Anyone who has been to Indonesia knows they smoke more than anyone, even babies smoke there: "Worse yet, one third of Indonesian children try smoking before the age of 10. In some startling examples, the 20/20 crew met 2-year-old Chairul, who is fed cigarettes by his grandfather. Then there was 7-year-old Maulana, living in a nearby town, who blows smoke rings while his mother looks on. "
Indonesia's smoking babies 'epidemic' - The Week
Indonesia's smoking babies 'epidemic' - The Week

Anyway, I can't believe your link is correct. For instance, it ranks Indonesia well below the U.S. Anyone who has been to Indonesia knows they smoke more than anyone, even babies smoke there: "Worse yet, one third of Indonesian children try smoking before the age of 10.

Countries like Indonesia has an extensive amount of male smokers, but hardly any females smokes. Apparently, they have not discovered the women's liberation movement as per Virginia Slims (women achieve equality by doing the same thing men do, such as smoking). High taxes in Western European countries could also limit smoking to casual occasions instead of puffing it away like there is no tomorrow.

Anyway, apparently, Dutch Antilles does not obey the laws of Netherland. Lots of places selling things celebrating Bob Marley, but nobody sells things that Bob Marley celebrated.

Have we officially abandoned the original topic?

Okay. I find the bottom of Lwang's list interesting. It is populated by countries whose citizens presumably cannot afford cigarettes, for the most part. But three of the richest countries* in the world are among them: Hong Kong, Singapore, and Norway, all below 500 cigarettes per year per adult. They must be doing something right. In Singapore, I know they have been pretty aggressive at cigarette labeling, taxing, and prohibiting smoking in many public areas--similar to the United States' approach (NYC's, in particular). I don't see smoking in bars or restaurants here in HK either, but I did see a guy buy a pack in the 7-11 yesterday for $6, which seemed pretty cheap compared to in the States, and it didn't have any pictures of cancerous lungs on it.

*as defined by whoever compiled that list.

Have we officially abandoned the original topic?

Okay. I find the bottom of Lwang's list interesting. It is populated by countries whose citizens presumably cannot afford cigarettes, for the most part. But three of the richest countries* in the world are among them: Hong Kong, Singapore, and Norway, all below 500 cigarettes per year per adult. They must be doing something right. In Singapore, I know they have been pretty aggressive at cigarette labeling, taxing, and prohibiting smoking in many public areas--similar to the United States' approach (NYC's, in particular). I don't see smoking in bars or restaurants here in HK either, but I did see a guy buy a pack in the 7-11 yesterday for $6, which seemed pretty cheap compared to in the States, and it didn't have any pictures of cancerous lungs on it.

*as defined by whoever compiled that list.
Original topic? Oh yeah, Plaza Resort. I haven't been there. Sorry.

Now did you mean HK dollars, so that's around 75 cents US? And how can Hong Kong be so smoke-free when China is not, or is that just because the ex-pats don't smoke?

Original topic? Oh yeah, Plaza Resort. I haven't been there. Sorry.

Now did you mean HK dollars, so that's around 75 cents US? And how can Hong Kong be so smoke-free when China is not, or is that just because the ex-pats don't smoke?
I don't think I'll ever think in terms of HK$. I just do the arithmetic. The pack was HK$50, and when I was in the 7-11 today I took a closer look at the cigarettes. They do have pictures of cancerous lungs on them, and other, similarly harsh images.

I have never seen local women smoke, so that may explain in part the low incidence. I can't discern a particular trend among the ex-pats, except that all the Brits I know smoke--usually over a pint or four.

I don't think I'll ever think in terms of HK$. I just do the arithmetic. The pack was HK$50, and when I was in the 7-11 today I took a closer look at the cigarettes. They do have pictures of cancerous lungs on them, and other, similarly harsh images.

I have never seen local women smoke, so that may explain in part the low incidence. I can't discern a particular trend among the ex-pats, except that all the Brits I know smoke--usually over a pint or four.
I spent 10 days on a liveaboard in Thailand making drinking buddies with a ex-pat Brit from Singapore. He smoked quite a lot, his Singapore/Chinese wife didn't partake at all.

As for cheap, for some odd reason cigarettes prices here in health conscious California are some of the lowest in the U.S. (at least compared with other habitable places I've been recently like Hawaii, Chicago, NYC, Las Vegas - I can't say what they cost in the south). Usually $5 and change for a pack of name brand (Marlboro, Camel, etc.), but there are always 3-for-2 specials or other discount promotions in place, not to mention cheaper "generic" cigs available, and obviously carton discounts at WalMarts and Costcos, etc.

I believe it's a perpetual conflict with those who promote health benefits of raising cigarette taxes (proven to reduce smoking rates) versus those who are against taxing people who might be able to afford it the least (as smoking rates rise inversely proportional to household income, it's the addicted poor folk who bear the brunt of the taxes).

Does anyone know the going rate for cigarettes in Bonaire? Say (to get this back on-topic) if one were to buy a pack at the Plaza bar?

Don't know about price in Bonaire, but here are international cigarette prices for a pack of Marboro, which has it for Aruba:

Cigarette Prices - Home

You can see the rough correlation of high prices in Europe w/low smoking rate vs the low prices countries.

Also, correlation of low price states in the US w/high smoking rates.

I'm Back!!! Trip report for Plaza Resort and Toucan Divers in separate thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom