Help Plz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HybridDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey guys, Just wondering i been doing all my dives on rental Regs. What regs do most of the wreck divers use and cave diver use? For a decent price, Where to pick them up? Im from canada and I do most of my shopping in the U.S cause its cheaper even bring it over the border.
Thanks Chris

Chris,

I dive Atomics (M1's) and really like them. For deep I use Poseidons.

Apex are also great performers and a little better price and I have heard (but never dived) the Aqua Lung Legend.

All around I would recommend the Apex or Atomic.

-Gary

You might want to look into an environmentally sealed 1st stage if you are going to dive in cold cold water (or deep deep water). The biggest thing about reg selection is service...All regs work, high end regs perfom, but who are you going to trust your life to year after year of service? My cold water pick would be either a Mares MR 22 Abyss w/ cold water kit, or I know from experience you get a better warranty with a Zeagle FH6 (sealed). Apex sealed is good too. If you are going to dive in Florida caves you might think differently. Talk to the guy who will be doing your service, pick a guy that's been doing these repairs for like 10 years. make sure you get a reg with a good warranty. Mares warranty only covers 2 1st stage high pressure seats which is below standard to me compared to a limited lifetime. If you think about getting a scubapro you'll pay top dollar and there is so much else out there, make sure you don't get sold on something some dive shop owner can't sell either. be careful! feel free to ask me any questions you like, I am a good, barely biased source of information and one of those service guys who's been doing it for 10 years.=======>Chaim Beaumont<========

Thank you, i was thinking about a Zeagle Envoy or a Mare Proton Ice Reg with a proton octo from scubatoys. What computer should i look into thats a cheap decent one to start with? Should i do a console or a Rist one?
Chris

I have been diving the legend for 3 years now. I love it. The reg has preformed great. The deepest i have been with it is 140' and it breathed great.

If I had to do it over the apeks would be my choice. They breath great and the hose routing on doubles is a little better.

Stay away from the scuba pro's they are not environmenal regs. I have seen many freeze up and free flow at depth and in cold water 38-42 deg. Cave divers love them but they are not ment for the cold.

Being in CA make sure what ever you buy that you can get it serviced.

The Main ones are Mares, Zeagle, sherwood and genesis in B.C canada i was thinking maybe a Mares Proton Ice cause i like the blue and it seems like a decent reg? but i want to make sure i pick the right one

I wouldn't get the proton I'd get the abyss, much better reg. It set the current or the last open circuit deep record and works 10 times better below below 200 (i've used both below 150 I can tell). Envoys are very good, if you want more adjustment they have the envoy deluxe, Zeagle also has a non-environmentally sealed high flow model the new flathead XP, it is a champ. the mares abyss is a dry 2nd stage upside down and everything, zeagle is not. like I said before know where you are going to get it serviced and make sure that shop is an authorized service center before you buy. Some shops can fix anything, but most cannot do everything under warranty and thats what saves you $. BCs get a zeagle, they are the only one who backs it up with a full lifetime warranty that I know of. Get the lift and dimensions for the diving you do, don't overdo it because someone tells you its the best, but try it on first make sure it fits your body very very well. Computers: if you get one on a hose do not get a quick connect, Paragon makes almost everybodies (oceanic, scubapro, sherwood, aeris) I and am all too familiar with fixing leaks out of these quick connects they all will leak when you don't want them to.

I use a pair of apeks atx200's for primary and backup, and o2 cleaned legend for stage bottle.

D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom