Help! Puck Pro, Leonardo, or Zoop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I have done a couple dozen dives and want our own (basic) computers, primarily for safety reasons. I'm going to get us both the same computer, and I'm very focused on it being simple and reliable.

These three seem to be the ones that come up frequently, but aside from the "1 button vs 3 button" debate, is there any meaningful difference? The more I research it, the more confusing it becomes.

My wife and I have done a couple dozen dives and want our own (basic) computers, primarily for safety reasons. I'm going to get us both the same computer, and I'm very focused on it being simple and reliable.

These three seem to be the ones that come up frequently, but aside from the "1 button vs 3 button" debate, is there any meaningful difference? The more I research it, the more confusing it becomes.

These guys: Dive Computers are supposed to arrive Real Soon Now(tm). Like, mid-January. The claim is $150-ish price tag with the same or better feature set as your 3 choices. So unless you need them right now, or you can get them for ~150/ea, I'd wait. And keep in mind that PC uplink is an extra ~100 or so for most of them, no idea about deep6.

The deal with one button is, if you're diving nitrox and need to program your O2%, say, 32, you have to press umpteen times to get to O2% setting, then press 10 times to scroll from 22% to 32%, then a couple more presses to save. If you have to do it for every tank, 4 tanks/day, 7 days in a row, it can get old. I, OTOH, only use it to set the local time at the start of the trip so I've no problem with one button.

I doubt at this point reliability is a factor with any of them really. All three come with "black box" algorithms, current generation zoops apparently have gauge mode, so basically no, I don't believe there is any meaningful difference.

I have Mares Puck computers for the whole family, we have 7. We regularly dive nitrox and there is no real impact in setting the %. The computer then holds that setting until you change it so if all the tanks are 32% then no change is required. Other computers re-set after the dive so this must be set for each dive.

The one-button vs the multi-button is a continual discussion. As with any device it isn't the number of buttons its the user interface design and user training/experience that matter. Most Puck users I talk to find it easy to use.

I dive a lot with club divers who use the clubs Zoop computers, generally I find they have difficulty navigating as the three buttons vary their function depending on the screen/mode.

What ever you get try and do the on-line training some computer courses here Dive Computer Training. You could take these courses before buying as get some simulated use.

Go with the Leonardo. Just because.

Does Leonardo have the bottom timer only (time and depth) setting?

Suunto Zoop. Cheap, reliable and easy to use.

Zoop, but if you are willing to stretch the budget just a little more, Oceanic Geo 2.0.

Zoop: durable, user replaceable bat, easy to use, reliable, used by a lot of people, familiar in most reputable dive resorts (therefore batteries can be sourced)

Geo 2: user replaceable bat, longer bottom time, "wearable" in and out of the water (less chance of misplacing it or leaving it at home), safety stop readout in MM:SS as opposed to only minutes in the Zoop (it will literally count you down to the end of your SS...comforting to know especially if you are low on air), nato strap compatible (not sure if the Zoop is...you want this because rubber straps are notorious for breaking without warning), and most importantly, available in lady-friendly colors.

Also, Zoop will set off an alarm and reset your SS timer if you ascend "too fast" in Suunto's opinion...quite disconcerting on challenging dives (group ascent on drift, choppy surface, etc.). I understand that this is a safety feature, and safety ALWAYS comes first, but all I am saying is that it can also compromise your situation adversely when not dealt with properly. Of course, your mileage may vary.

I use a Geo 2, my wife a Zoop -- around 100 dives experience together on both. She will be switching to the Geo 2 this Jan "if the one with the blue face and the white strap is available"...did I mention lady colors? Sells $250 in leisure pro (Zoop $199).

Does Leonardo have the bottom timer only (time and depth) setting?

Yes. To 120m.

Also user-replaceable battery (2430 vs zoop's 2450), annoying beeps, and many colours. If newer zoops really have the gauge mode, then like I said: no meaningful difference other than 3 buttons vs one.

There might still be a couple of $200 A300s left on amazon -- basically the same DC as Geo2 with larger screen and for $50 less. I'm not sure how much work it is to download the log off it, though, and I expect no help from Oceanic if that turns out to be a problem. So realistically, wait a few weeks and see what comes out of Deep6's promises.

Of the three listed I would go for the Puck Pro. As for the single button, I have no problem with my Oceanic Veo 180 once I got familiar with the operation.

I am waiting for the Deep 6 as well!!

Back
Top Bottom