Help Purchasing Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smas33

Reaction score
Im new to diving. I have my cert but am looking to buy equipment. Im not sure what is best for me. Whether I should buy new or buy used? Mainly the fact that because Im not sure is it worth buying new because Im so new to the sport? Also what things should I be looking for when purchasing a BCD and Regulator? When you buy a regulator what does it mean 1st and second stage? Does that typically all come with the regulator? Also what about the diff. between balanced piston reg and non balanced? Does it make that much of a diff for a beginner?

Thanks a million
:confused:

I'm pretty new to diving as well so all I currently have is the basics - wetsuit, mask, fins, snorkel, boots, gloves and knife. But while going through the forum, I've read a lot of great stuff on BC's and Reg's. I suggest you do a search on this.
Also, since you're new to diving you may want to consider renting the BC and reg for a while until you get more familiar with the various equipments available.

Especially for BCs, since there are so many types. See if you can find a local LDS that rents out BP/Wings setups (head on over to the BCs forum if you'r enot sure what I mean) and is good about getting you fitted properly before you make a decision.

smas33 once bubbled...
Im new to diving. I have my cert but am looking to buy equipment. Im not sure what is best for me. Whether I should buy new or buy used? Mainly the fact that because Im not sure is it worth buying new because Im so new to the sport? Also what things should I be looking for when purchasing a BCD and Regulator? When you buy a regulator what does it mean 1st and second stage? Does that typically all come with the regulator? Also what about the diff. between balanced piston reg and non balanced? Does it make that much of a diff for a beginner?

Thanks a million
:confused:
I'm far from being an expert, but I've made some mistakes buying gear that was not "right" for me.

I researched regulator and BC very hard and came to the conclusion that the Apeks ATX50, ATX40 octo was the best value for me. That was a good decision and will serve me well for many years (although I'm already thinking of getting another for a spare)

I purchased a Zeagle Ranger BC, which is a very durable unit that will last a VERY long time. However, It was incrediable hard to control my trim and buoyancy in the water. After reading some of the comments on the backplates and wings approach I opted for that. I could not be more happy with that!! Extremely easy to control trim and buoyancy and make me feel more under control.

So, like the others have said: Try renting different types before you buy if possible. That will let you see and feel the difference between them and see what "right for you".

Since your in NJ I would suggest getting a good cold water regulator that will stay with you for awhile. Plus it will work fine in warmer water too.
It's only your life we're talking about..... Spend the money for a good one.

Hey thanks so much for all the replys. I would love to rent equipment first but being in Central NJ theres not that many LDS available or open during my free hours. One of you suggested getting a good cold water regulator. Are there any that you suggest that are not to pricy? Or how about any good online shops to buy from? Also how do you feel about buying used equipment?

Thanks again

As far as online goes, leisurepro.com works for me, and many others on the board. To get the full scope of opinions, just do a search, and you'll find MANY threads on LP. They're located in NYC (on 5th Ave., I believe), so your order should get to you the next day, using standard UPS (I live in CT, and I get my stuff within 12 hours). Or, just take a day and visit when you're in the city.

Coldwater regs: what's your price range? I have heard many good things with Apeks regs, and scubapro MK16 1st stage.

Used equipment: No experience, but should be alright if taken care of by previous owner, but always get stuff like that checked out by your LDS.

You can buy some used stuff like weights & weight belt, fins if they are in good shape, and tanks. I would bey a new reg, any name brand is good and I would get new guages. Wet suits, mesh bags, etc can be bought used. If you live in NJ I think any decent reg is ok and unless you dive in the winter, you don't need a cold water reg. More advise, shop at your local dive shop, get the correct gear and don't shop too much on line. If you buy on line sometimes there is no warranty and when you walk into your local shop for repairs they will be upset . If you buy a used bc get it from someone you know, no rentals, they are never cared for well. I bought a used bc once from a dive buddy of mine and it was ok for 1-2 years. I am anal about cleaning my gear, I have a bc I would sell to anyone because I know the condition and I know how I washed it out throughly every time I dove.

Don't want to start anything I really don't but... Please think about finding a LDS and using it. They are there when you have a question, need air, a new class etc. Can't get those services from the Internet. They are also there for the love of the the sport - not for the profit. Most Dive Shop owners will ask you what "profit" means? Places like Leisure Pro hurt the industry - in my opinion. Price shouldn't be the only consideration. If you owned a business would you want to fix something someone bought on the internet??? Service is a very big part of the industry. No I do not own a shop but I understand the Market Place and when we don't buy at our LDS they go out of business.

Just my opinion.
Becky

I agree, mail order is something you really need to stay away from.

You may pay a little more at the local dive shop, but a return or exchange of a defective item is a 5 minute no hassle deal, you are buying the LDS operator's expertise as well as piece of gear, and if they sell it they can fix it and service it.

A reg bought mail order may not be something you can get serviced locally and over time that "big" cost savings you made buying mail order evaporates in annual shipping charges and delays in getting it serviced. Perhaps most importantly if the local dive shop goes out of business so does it's compressor and your air. Enjoy that last tank of air while you think about how much you saved.

A balanced first stage design generally offers a little better performance at depth and it ensures a more stable intermediate pressure as tank pressure decreases. This normally equates to less breathing resistance at the second stage on the lower half of the tank. With an unbalanced first stage, the cracking effort of the second stage has to be set to accomodate the max tank pressure and it ends up being excessive at low tank pressures.

Balanced stages come in both piston and diaphragm designs. Piston first stages have fewer moving parts and fewer rubber parts subject to wear and in my opinion require less maintainence and are more reliable.

They also seem to maintain peak performance over a longer diving season. I do at least 100 dives a year, so that kind of staying power is important to me.

I have also heard good things about the Scubapro Mk 16, but then I have also heard it was added to the line to accomodate folks who like diaphragm first stages, not due to any superior performance over a piston first stage design.

1) find a good LDS. One that doesn't use scare tactics to make a sale. My LDS for example told me not to look at price when buying a mask...instead look at fit and they suggested a mid priced mask...this is a good sign. Also, choose a LDS that allows you to test their equipment in a pool to see what "best fits you"
2) Read, Read, Read....scubaboard is a great place for review. Also www.rodales.com can give you manufacturer info. Albeit you can read the reviews, but until you try the gear, you should make your own judgement on equipment.
3) Ask yourself some questions:
-Will you be doing advanced training? Nitrox, deco, etc.
-What type of diving will you do?
-How often do you plan on diving?
-What is your budget?
-Can your gear be serviced locally?

4) My web site lists my gear...I personally love it and would recommend it FOR MYSELF. You should decide what best fits you by testing out the equipment. Also, you don't need to buy all your gear at once. Remember, your gear selection can definitely enhance the diving experience so you need to buy the gear that you like. Don't settle for second best...you'll be disappointed later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom