HELP!!! Sea of Cortez conditions now

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rypark1999

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We (three divers) had plans to fly to Cozumel this Wednesday (10/26 thru 11/2) for eight days but because of Wilma we are looking into alternative plans.

Are the dive conditions (ie: visibility, chance of seeing pelagics) in the Sea of Cortez still good for this time of year?

We are looking into either diving out of Cabo & La Paz (ie: splitting our diving between the two cities) or going to Lorento for the entire trip. Is an 8 day trip too long for either of these plans? Which plan would you recommend?

Does the dive season end on Nov 1? I noticed on Manta Divers website (caboscuba.com) that they have a Nov 1 deadline for some of their packages.

Any help would be great (suggestions on flights, hotels, dive operators). We are trying to set up a Sea of Cortez trip within the next couple of days.

We plan to go to CSL Nov 4-10. We are staying in Cabo Pulmo the first two nights and then on to CSL the remainder of the trip. I know Manta stops some of its special trips Oct 31. We decided to stay in Cabo Pulmo because its around $120/person to go on a full day trip up there from CSL - seemed cheaper to just stay there a few days. I would highly recommend going there even through a dive shop. I think the water starts cooling down in December & that October at least this year is the warmest water temp month. I expect around 75-80F water when we're there. Look around at a couple of other shops in the CSL area - I bet several are not discontinuing their special trips. I don't expect to see anything big other than a few mantas in November - I think December is a better month for that.
I hear Loreto is wonderful & easy to get to if you're on the West Coast.

rypark1999:
...We are looking into either diving out of Cabo & La Paz (ie: splitting our diving between the two cities) or going to Lorento for the entire trip. Is an 8 day trip too long for either of these plans?...

I don't know Loreto diving yet, but I'm researching it for my next trip. From what I've learned, it seems that eight days would get boring. Perhaps more-knowledgeable folks could contribute with comments that would also help me.

Regarding CSL and La Paz, that's a better use of eight days, IMHO. First, CSL is only 133 miles from La Paz, and Cabo Pulmo is between the two, so you're geographically well-positioned. Here's a Baja California map with driving distances. You've probably already read these two excellent trip reports, from dlnDavid and SFScuba:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=74857

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=115380

(There are others throughout this forum, of course, such as MtnDiver's knowledge of Baja.)

Considering that Cabo Pulmo has its own charm, I could spend two days there, with an overnight, feeling relaxed but not bored. The bad news is that it's hard to arrange a third tank in a single day, for whatever reasons, but you could work that out in advance, or not.

Anyway, my somewhat envious recommendation is as follows:
  • two days in La Paz;
  • half-day driving down/up, maybe with a non-advertised dive on the way;
  • one or two days in Cabo Pulmo;
  • two+ days in CSL, including a day trip out to Gordo Banks.

That adds up to 5.5 days to 7.5 days, so you've got flexibility and a day or so before flying. Of course, depending on your flight plans, you could go south to north just as well (CSL > Cabo Pulmo > La Paz.)

BTW, water vis in Baja is not and never will be the same as Cozumel and the Caribbean. However, I think the marine life is more varied than Cozumel (and bigger in Cabo Pulmo, too.)

hth! And may your Cozumel bad luck will turn into new luck.

--Wayne

Thanks for your recommendations. Setting up this alternative trip was such short notice, I had to make decisions on the fly and based upon availability - which was limited.

Looks like we'll be flying into La Paz via AeroCalifornia. and staying/diving with Club Cantamar (8 days and 5 days of diving).

I was so haggard from dealing with AA that it wasn't worth it to give them more money. And I wanted to set this trip up with least amount of work.

Thanks again for your help.

Please do a trip report when you get back. I would love to hear what La Paz is like - diving and all..

We also were scheduled for Cozumel in November and are looking at Cabo. Does anyone have suggestions for dive operators in Cabo?

Thanks,
Suzanne

Suzanne,
I hear Amigos del mar, Lands End Divers, Manta Divers and Underwater Diversions are all good shops. I'm sure I'm forgetting some. I've personally dove with Amigos. I intend to dive with Lands End in November for a change of scenery. For a treat, make sure you go with a shop that will take you to Cabo Pulmo or Gordo Banks.

Thanks for the advice. I've seen Amigos del Mar suggested the most by other divers so I'm leaning towards them. Unfortunetly we are going early December and I read that is not the best time to go....forced plans due to the change from Cozumel. I'm hoping to learn as much as possible about diving in Cabo because my other friends are not very excited about diving Cabo vs Cozumel. I'm afraid they will all bail on me dives if the first dives we go on are not that great.

Suzanne : )

Hi,
I just returned from La Paz last Sat. A short trip and was there fishing mostly, (dorado fishing was great) for an article I'm writing, but hung with divers at the La Concha Hotel (and Cortez Club diving operation) where I stayed. I highly recommend it. Weather was great, water clarity very good >50 feet, and divers saw hammerheads and whale sharks regularly.

Jim

Addendum. If you haven't been to Baja before, be forewarned. La Paz, in spite of being a very large city, is far more laid back and less "touristy" than CSL. Yes, the waterfront does have a Carlos and Charlies, but you will see more locals at the taquerias (some great ones, too) than tourists. It's also very quiet this time of year. Most outsiders are there to fish and to dive, not to party.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom